Chapter Ten ~ Heavy Going

The breath was knocked right out of my lungs.

"What do you mean Susie?" Jack threaded carefully.

"Don't play dumb with me Jack. I know everything. Peter fessed up to everything. I know you're not entirely to blame but how could you let this happen?" She looked around her making sure no one heard. "How could you do that to Imperial?"

"Hey! Susie back off would you. This isn't Jack's fault. It isn't entirely Peter's either. It's all down to Vincy. He is the one who thinks he can control people whenever he pleases. Don't take it out on Jack when you don't know everything." Jack clasped my hand in his and squeezed it softly.

"Easy Molly, Susie is right I shouldn't have done that to Dusty. He's a great horse and I could have jeopardised his career. I wasn't in the right frame of mind you have to believe me Susie."

"Sorry Jack. I shouldn't have had a go at you like that. From what Peter told me Vincy wasn't exactly asking you. I know you also mightn't like him right now but we've a problem." She fiddled with her zip on her bag.

"What's the problem Susie?" Molly was becoming increasing stressed.

"Vincy knows Peter confessed. I'm afraid he's going to hurt him."

I felt like saying 'What? Hurt him like he hurt me? At least he would know how it felt.'

However I went with "What can I do?"

Molly looked at me like I had two heads before smiling slightly.

"Let's go find him. I left him talking to a few of his mates by the bar." Susie took off before we could stand up.

Molly quickly pulled me back and whispered in my ear.

"I love you."

Not being able to contain my smile I kissed her passionately.

"Maybe we can have some happiness after all."

After scanning the bar for ten minutes with no sign of Peter we began to worry. Of course Vincy wasn't invited to this event but that wouldn't stop him from showing up and causing havoc.

"Peter it's Jack. Just drop us a text to let us know you're alright. Look, I know we aren't exactly on good terms at the moment but we were friends once. I miss that...." I hang on to the end of the voicemail not knowing what to say next before hanging up.

"We'll find him." Molly reassured me firmly.

"It's how we find him is what I'm worried about."

~ Molly ~

"Paddy I hate to interrupt but could I maybe borrow your jeep please? " I smiled nervously.

He stops dancing with Helen and looks at me cautiously. "Molly the last time you borrowed my jeep I had to get someone else to bring the horses back from the races!"

"Yes I know and I'm really sorry about that but that was an accident. I promise you'll have it back by the end of the night."

"I wouldn't mind if we were stuck here all night." Helen joked clinging onto Paddy's arm.

"Alright," he handed me the keys "Go but tell me this, are you going to go back to racing or what? I've had several people coming up to me asking me if you race and I really want to tell them you do." I could tell by his voice that he believed in me and that made me want to cry. He's only known me two months and he sees something in me. I'm really grateful for that.