Chapter Nine ~ Steeple Chase

"You look...beautiful." I stared at my girlfriend as she walked down the stairs in a long sleek dress. I honestly had no words. She looked stunning.

"Are you sure it's not too much? I've never actually been to one of these but I have been looking at pictures from past events and I think that-"

"Mols, don't stress. You look great." I pulled her close and kissed her forehead. "Tonight we forget everything else. We just enjoy the night, alright?" Looking directly into her brown eyes I asked her to put our troubles away for the time being.

"Sounds perfect." Closing her eyes I knew she was imagining things differently. She was imagining a safe, happy and carefree environment. Or maybe that's just what I think she's imagining seeing as that's all I can think about. I'm not asking for continuous rainbows and happy times but a little bit wouldn't go astray.

Paddy offered to drive us and his plus one to the hotel as he wouldn't be drinking. I told him that I probably wouldn't be drinking either with the painkillers but he insisted it was no problem. Secretly I think he was afraid to be alone with his 'date'. He asked the woman that owned the local shop.

"Jack, Molly, I'd like you to properly meet Helen Roache. She's gladly gave up her time to accompany me tonight."

Before we both shook Helen's hand we glanced quickly at each other questioning Paddy's sudden charm. I could see his hand was fiddling with his handkerchief in his pocket anxiously.

"It's nice to meet you both. Paddy talks about you both like your his children! He's always singing your praises."

"Aw Paddy, that's so sweet of you. Should I call you Dad now?" I teased pretending to run for a hug.

"I would say that we wouldn't want your head to get big but it's a bit late for that." He muttered in a whisper that only I could hear before pushing me off. 

Helen was a small woman in comparison to Paddy but her personality was huge. She laughed and talked the whole journey leaving Paddy to glance admiringly at her whenever he got the chance.

I wrapped an arm around Molly as we headed inside, Paddy following close behind linked with Helen.

The event saw a huge crowd of the racing world enter its doors. It was basically a dinner dance to celebrate the outstanding work of the Irish Injured Jockeys Comittee.

"Molly you look gorgeous! So sexy." Susie rushed over to Molly gushing at her dress. My eyes however were on Susie's date. Peter. We hadn't uttered a word to each other since I got back. Mind you I wouldn't know what to say. Betrayal wasn't a good enough word.

"Susie? I didn't know you were coming. Thank you, you look amazing yourself." I knew from Molly's tone she was threading lightly as she glanced at my from the corner of her eye to check for a response. I broke the stare blinking a couple of times and I remembered our earlier conversation about enjoying the night.

"Susie, you look lovely. Enjoy your night." I grabbed Molly and ushered her to the bar but not before passing Peter. "Peter." I greeted. He looked at me shockingly finding it hard to believe  the civil manner I was portraying.

"Proud of you." Molly squeezed my hand.

"I just need a drink." I laughed exasperatedly. A strong one.

~ Molly ~

After dinner we were brought out to a big function room with a bar and dance floor. Jack and I danced for a while before sitting on a nearby couch. I noticed he was getting quite drunk.

"Isn't there some rule about painkillers and drink not mixing well?" I questioned jokingly but in reality I was quite serious.

"Nah..that's bullshit. It's no harm. No harm to me anyway. I'm just great." He bluffed his way out of it, finding it hard to sit quietly.

"Molly Conway?" A young guy came up to me. He looked familiar. Blonde hair and green eyes. Light stature. Jockey? "Sorry I should introduce myself properly. Danny Ryan. We used to see each other on the point to point scene. I was really sorry to hear about your accident. When none of us heard from you again we didn't know what to think." I looked at the guy flabbergasted. An old friend.

"Hi Danny, I'm really sorry I don't remember you. Kinda just what amnesia does I guess." I swallow the lump forming in the back of my throat.

"I'm really sorry Molly. I should have visited and kept in contact. Does you being here mean you're back in business?" He looks excitedly.

"Ehm, well back in the business just not exactly in the saddle. I ride out for Paddy Mc Guigan now as I'm on placement there from college." I turned to look at Jack who was asleep on the couch beside me. "That's where I met Jack."

Danny seemed to think for a second. "That's a pity." A pity about what? Me not racing? Or me being with Jack? "Can't believe Jack settled down with a girl. He can be well wild when it comes to women. You're obviously as amazing as I remember." Now that made me properly choke on my drink. Was he flirting with me.

"Who are you here with? I asked trying to revert the subject.

"Some model who decided when I wasn't interested to go look for other eligible candidates." He rolled his eyes before smiling. "Tell you what, seeing as my date is off somewhere and yours is asleep beside us, why don't we get to know each other again?"

It was a tempting offer. I would like to remember what I was like before the fall. What can go wrong?

"As the friends we were?" I narrowed my eyes trying to send out a warning sign.

"As the friends we are." He winked.

We talked for a half an hour before I decided to grab some water for Jack to try and sober him up.

When I came back Jack was awake talking to Danny.

"Here I got you some water." I handed him the water but he didn't speak he just glared at Danny.

"Alright folks I don't want to be third wheeling. You have my number Molly. Keep in touch." He smiled and winked before walking off.

"What was that?" Jack's voice was extremely low.

"He remembered me from points races. We just caught up. He told me a few things about what I was like before."

"That's it? Nothing else?" He looked at me sternly.

"No nothing. Why should he have told me something? Jack what's with you?"

"It's nothing. He just knows about how I used to be with girls." He spoke carefully afraid I would break away from him. I kissed him gently.

"What is it you tell me? Nothing really matters?" I smiled.

"Hmm" he grunted "what twat said that? Such a lie."

"I dunno I think he could be on to something." I look over at Jack who's looking out at the dance floor at Paddy and Helen.

"That was supposed to be us. I was supposed to be wooing you over and you were supposed to be laughing at my failed attempts. We are supposed to be happy. For tonight at least."

It was quiet for a second before Susie comes rushing over.

"I know everything!"