twenty-one

m a e

"He totally likes you," Mae says even though she's certain her best friend isn't even listening.

She can tell that Ashton is off in her own little world, daydreaming of the guy she'd just met.

Once their initial greeting had finished, the four teenagers had ventured into the small diner. Luke and Mae sat on one side while the Ashtons sat across from them.

At first, the drummer boy had sat down next to Luke earning confused reactions from both girls. It took a few moments for him to catch on, but luckily he did before anybody had to verbally tell him so.

A natural conversation ensued and before they knew it, two hours had passed.

The girls are currently in the bathroom while the guys remained at the table, waiting on the check.

"Sorry. What did you say?" Ashton inquired, her eyes slowly looking over at Mae.

"He totally likes you, and you my friend are in love," she sang the last word, evoking a strong reaction from her best friend.

"Shut up." She lightly smacked Mae on the arm. "Do you really think he likes me?"

Mae simply shook her head as she pulled Ashton along, back to the table.

There was no way Ashton could believe that there were no feelings between her and him. Mae could see it simply from the way he looked at her. It was the same way Luke was looking at Mae at that moment.

"Are you ready to go?" Luke asked, kissing Mae on the cheek once she sat down.

Before she could reply, she caught whispering going on across the table. She laughed softly as the two came across as though they were already together.

"Looks like we're great matchmakers," Luke whispered, his cool breath causing goosebumps to rise on her skin.

"We sure are," she agreed.

Never in a million years could they have ever imagined being here in their town's local diner, sitting with the two guys they've fallen head over heels with. It's much more than a dream come true. So, so much more.

"I told Ashton that we would give them some alone time." Mae looked at him suspiciously.

"And what were we gonna do while they have some alone time?" She teased.

"Follow me and find out."

She slid out of the booth and the moment she did, he leaped off the seat and ran out the door.

She laughed nervously as she glanced at the lovebirds. "I'll see you later, Ash, okay?"

"Okay," they both said simultaneously.

l u k e

"Luke," Mae hollered as she stepped outside of the quaint diner.

He remained quiet as he hid behind the car.

She stepped off of the sidewalk and the closer she got to him, the farther he moved away from the car. In the time it took for her to get to the hood of the car, he had already circled to the other side.

"Luke? Where are you?"

He chuckled slightly as he inched along the passenger side of the car.