nineteen

l u k e

Luke's eyes have been fixated on his phone for an hour -- waiting patiently to hear from the girl that's never once left his mind. Which is why he barely slept a wink last night.

After Mae drove him back to his car, he drove home wishing that he could've spent more time with her. They'd practically spent all day together and yet it still wasn't enough. No amount of time together would ever be enough. This girl was special and he's never met anyone like her before.

She's different but in a good way. She makes him feel like a normal guy who doesn't make a living by touring around the world. A guy who isn't wanted by millions of girls. Even though he is eternally grateful for his life and what he's been given, it's nice to get away from it all for just a little while.

As if she could tell that he was thinking about her, Mae suddenly texts him.

He nearly jumps out of his skin at the sound of his ringtone. He'd been so far into his own mind, he almost forgot where he was for a moment.

mae
tonight was amazing. hopefully we can do it again soon.

He smiled wide as he read her message. Of course they'd do it again soon, and he couldn't wait til then.

His fingers furiously typed a response, but before he could send it, there was a knock at the door, tearing him away from it.

"Come in," he hollered, pressing send.

luke
you are amazing. just let me know and i'll be there.
until next time, sweetheart

"You are so beyond whipped, man," Calum chuckled, glancing over Luke's shoulder. There's no privacy in this damn house, Luke couldn't help but think to himself.

"Remind me not to let you in next time," Luke groaned. He pushed himself off of the bed and looked his friend in the eyes. "What can I do for you?"

He considered asking What do you want?, but he decided against it. He's in too much of a good mood to be infuriated by his best friend's childish antics.

"Well, I hate to break it to you, but we have band practice. Like right now." He pointed to his wrist even though there's no watch around it. "So, say bye bye to your girl for now."

It's as if Luke is five and Calum is his babysitter.

"She's not my girl," Luke mumbled under his breath. It hurts to admit it but that's the truth. Even though Mae is very special to him, she's not his girl. At least not yet.

Calum scoffs on the way out of Luke's bedroom. "You better change that before someone else does."

His words go in one ear and literally plant themselves into Luke's brain. You better change that before someone else does.

Before he can understand what he's doing, Luke runs past Calum and out the door to his car.

"What the hell? Luke!" Calum yells, standing in the front door, but Luke ignores him completely. He puts the car in reverse and speeds out of the driveway all the way to Mae's house.

His mind is racing. There was no way he would normally skip band practice, but Calum's words would not leave his head. They played over and over like a broken record -- one that he desperately wanted to rip off of the record player.

After about twenty minutes, the car pulled up by her sidewalk. He took a deep breath before exiting the car.

You can do this, he thought.