twelve

m a e

Mae has contemplated the idea of telling Ashton about her latest dream about Luke many, many times, and even though it's probably better not to, she decides to anyways. Besides it's not like there's much she'll do to her, except maybe hit her for being so lovestruck. Eh, she'll take her chances.

As they make their way into the next store at the mall, Mae casually brings up the group in general, in order to not unsettle Ashton so quickly.

"So, have you watched the Jet Black Heart video yet?" Mae peruses the wall of jeans while Ashton's eyeing the graphic tees.

She snorts and says, "You're joking, right? Of course I've watched it. It was absolutely amazing."

Mae simply agrees as she moves onto the sweatshirts. For a few moments, she remains silent as Ashton eyes her curiously. She can tell her best friend wants to say something else, but she restrains herself from doing so.

Nothing else is said for at least fifteen minutes, but as Ashton goes into the dressing room, Mae stands outside and quickly rips off the bandaid.

"I had another dream about Luke," she says, hoping Ashton heard her. A sigh erupts from the other side of the door, and even though it could be due to her jeans not fitting correctly, Mae's certain that's not the case.

"Mae," she sighs again, "I don't mind you telling me these things, but it's kind of hard to deal with when you won't cooperate."

She scrunches her eyebrows together curiously even though Ashton can't see her. "What are you talking about? Cooperate?"

Suddenly the door swings open revealing her exasperated best friend with loose strands of hair falling in her face. "Are you messing with me?" She walks over to the mirror and examines her reflection as she continues, "I've been telling you about his tweets all week, trying to convince your stubborn butt that he's talking about you, and all you can do is tell me I'm irrational to think such a thing. Now you're standing here telling me about yet another dream when you could be telling him about it."

"You are irrational," Mae groans. "I've told you there is no possible way he's talking about me, and there's no way I'd ever tell him about my dreams. I mean seriously, Ashton, who do you think I am?"

It may seem like she can be this outgoing and fun person, but sadly that's not always the case. She's more of an introvert than an extrovert, unlike Ashton. She's always willing to go outside her comfort zone to get what she wants, and no matter how much Mae would love to be like that, she just can't get a handle on it.

"Okay, maybe you're right, but there's no way of knowing unless you try," she says sympathetically with her hands grasping Mae's shoulders. "I'm sorry, you know I just want the best for you, right?"

She pulls Mae in for a tight bear hug as she nods her head in response. Mae is well aware that Ashton's looking out for her well being. She's been doing that since the first day they met each other, and she loves her dearly for it. Not many people look out for her like she does. In fact, the only other person that does that is her mom.

The hug lasts a few minutes before she finally pulls away, and as Mae looks at her she notices a small smirk slowly appear. She's about to question her, but before she can, Ashton quickly dodges into the dressing room, slamming the door shut.

l u k e

Luke just can't seem to get her out of his head. No matter what he does, she's there. He's been doing everything he can to rid her out of his mind, but nothing has worked so far. He's even tried banging his head against the wall -- gently of course, he's not a total idiot.