Dragon Sickness

The Company stood atop the great stone turret, watching with anticipation as they saw the ongoing battle over Lake-Town. Thorin stood at the very edge of the tower, his knuckles white as he grasped the stone walls. Any and all voices about gold were pushed to the back of his mind as he saw one of the great beasts plummet into the water. But which one? He felt fear stab at his chest as he saw the remaining dragon fly slowly towards them. Whoever it was, they were hurt, and Thorin could feel the stone of the wall cutting into his hands as he worried.
"Who is it?" Whispered Gloin, tugging on his long, ginger beard. Bilbo peered over the water at the approaching dragon, before his small face broke into a wide smile.
"It's her! It's Clarrei!"
And it was then Thorin noticed that the dragon was much smaller than Smaug, and he noticed the old injuries from before, now that she came closer. And the stoic prince threw his hands in the air and cheered with his companions as they ran down the steps to the entranceway to Erebor, as Clarrei came in to land. She landed heavily, grunting in pain, as flames erupted over her body, and she shrank back to human form. Thorin was the first to reach the girl, gently lifting her into his arms and brushing her hair, sticky with sweat and blood, away from her face.
"Clarrei, are you alright?" He asked, peering into her bright eyes. His love smiled, but winced, placing a hand over her ribs.
"I gave him hell for you, Gioiello." She said, laughing quietly. Thorin breathed a sigh of relief. She was hurt, but she would live. He turned to the Company, who stood proudly watching their dragon as Thorin began to move into the Mountain.
"Let's get her inside."

----------------------------------------------------------------

"All of the rooms in here are extremely dusty, I hope you don't mind." Thorin said, awkwardly as Dwalin opened the door to the room that had once been Thorin's own quarters. Clarrei chuckled as the prince sat her down on the soft bed covers. They were extremely dusty, she noted, as she sneezed, wincing as her ribs twinged.
"I don't mind at all, Thorin. I'm just happy this is all over." She said, laying back with a sigh of relief. As Dwalin left, Thorin turned to her with a sudden light in his eyes.
"Would you like me to tell them?" He said, excitement making him go red. Clarrei smiled, butterflies filling her stomach as she realised that they had to tell the Company that she and Thorin were now engaged. She took a deep breath, then nodded.
"Get them all in here." She said, taking Thorin's hand in hers. "We should tell them together."
Thorin pulled up the small stool next to the bed and sat down, clasping Clarrei's small hand in his big ones.
"Together."

As the dwarves and Bilbo entered, they were all surprised by sudden cries from the hallway as Bofur, Oin, Fili and Kili sprinted through the door.
"Boys!" Thorin and Clarrei exclaimed together as they were embraced by their nephews. Bofur was reunited with his brothers, and Oin was immediately by Clarrei's side, medicine bag in hand.
"My Queen, what happened?" He fretted, to which Clarrei merely replied:
"I'm not queen, Oin, and I don't think the title suits me."
"Not yet, anyway." Said Thorin, with a smile. The Company looked confused, and the couple smiled at each other before looking to their friends.
"We have something to tell you, everyone." Clarrei said nervously. How would they take the news?
"Before we tried to drown Smaug in gold, I asked Clarrei for her hand in marriage." Thorin said, a smile spreading across his face. Fili and Kili's faces lit up.
"And?!" They demanded. Clarrei laughed, ruffling their hair.
"And I accepted."
A huge cheer went up throughout the room as the Company congratulated the couple. Handshakes and hugs were exchanged, and when they moved away, Clarrei felt a set of arms wrap around her. She looked up, smiling as Thorin placed a soft kiss to her lips. He looked about the room, running a hand through his hair.
"I haven't got a ring yet, but I swear to you," he said, turning to Clarrei. "I will find you the most beautiful ring in Middle-Earth."
Clarrei giggled, flushing red.
"Oh, Thorin, you don't have to-"
"But I will." He said, taking his fiancè's hand and planting a gentle kiss to her knuckles. "Now, you get some rest, there are a few business things I need to take care of. Oin," he said, looking to the healer. "You have the medical supplies?"
Oin nodded, digging through his bag, pulling out bandages and healing herbs.
"I'll see you soon, my dear." Said Thorin, gently brushing Clarrei's hair behind her ear as he left. She laid back on the pillows, a wide smile spreading across her face.
"Didn't I say it would happen?" Said Balin, smugly from the corner of the room. He looked to his younger brother, holding out a gloved hand. "Pay up."

----------------------------------------------------------------

Thorin waded his way through the piles of gold, digging through the gems with his hands. It had to be somewhere around here, it just had to. The dwarven kingdoms wouldn't unite with him as their King unless he had the Arkenstone to prove his birthright. Little by little, Thorin worked his way through the mountains of riches, until he stood atop one of the small hills, overlooking the cavernous treasure-hoard.
It's all yours... The little voice in his head hissed. So it was back, then. All of it. Your birthright, King Under the Mountain.
He had to be more than that, didn't he? He had to be more than merely a King? Thorin groaned, pressing the palms of his hands to his eyes as an intense pain lanced through the centre of his skull. Immediately, in his mind's eye, he saw himself wearing the Royal garments, a great golden crown resting on his black hair. He sat on the throne of Erebor, gold surrounding him. He sat alone, but somehow, it didn't bother him. In the vision, the Arkenstone sat in its slot above his head, gleaming in the gloom of the Mountain, casting an eerie blue-white glow over the image. Suddenly, the vision disappeared, and Thorin fell to his knees, gasping for air as though he had held his breath underwater for a long time. And when he raised his head, there was a new, cold light in his eyes.
"Where is my Arkenstone?" He growled, his deep voice echoing through the stone halls of the Lonely Mountain.

A.N.// And so it begins... I know, I hated the dragon sickness in the movie as well, but I felt it was too vital to the story to leave it out, plus I have an idea for how it can be overcome, plus some fluffles for after it all. I hope you enjoyed this chapter, and I'll see you sound, my hobbits! 💘🐉🌹
~Luna