The path to Mirkwood

The dark forest loomed ahead of them, and Clarrei felt a strong sense of foreboding settle in her chest. She sighed, placing a hand to the new necklace that hung around her skin neck. She smiled, remembering that morning, when Thorin had given her the beautiful jewellery.
Clarrei stretched, yawning as the morning sun filtered through the windows. She brushed her long hair from her face, clicking her tongue in annoyance as it stung her eyes. She really needed a trim. Turning to bid Thorin good morning, she was surprised to see he was gone. Had she overslept? No, she thought as she looked at the sun. She was right on time. So where was everyone? She peered around the corner, surprised to see the Company sitting in the dining room with big grins on their faces.
"Morning, Auntie!" Fili and Kili said, practically bouncing on their feet. Thorin shot them a look.
"Boys, calm yourselves. Clarrei," he said, looking at her with a sudden shyness that made her giggle. "There's something I would like to give you."
Clarrei smiled and sat down.
"What is it?"
Thorin sat next to her, gently placing a wooden box engraved with beautiful markings in front of her. Excitement flooding her chest, Clarrei slowly opened the box, gasping when she saw what was inside. A beautiful necklace, in the form of a silver dragon's claw, clutching a blue sapphire lay within. She picked up the delicate chain, smiling widely.
"It's beautiful. Thorin, thank you, thank you so much!" She wrapped her arms around her prince, burying her face in his shoulder. She could practically feel him smiling as he returned the embrace.
"But why are you giving me this?" Clarrei asked, suddenly confused. At that, Thorin blushed bright red, awkwardly scratching the back of his neck.
"Well, I, um... Clarrei, when a dwarf begins courting, we exchange courting gifts with our beloveds, to show our feelings. We make them ourselves." He added, smiling. Clarrei couldn't help but smile as she watched his embarrassment, especially as his blush grew deeper when the Company started to wolf-whistle. She kissed his cheek gently as a response.
"Then I accept this gift, Thorin son of Thrain."
"What are you thinking?"
Clarrei looked behind her as Thorin came towards her, carrying the pack from his pony. She smiled at him.
"Just about your gift." She said, laying a hand to the beautiful jewellery. Thorin smiled, planting a kiss on her cheek and wrapping an arm around her waist.

----------------------------------------------

Thorin drew a hand across his forehead. The air in this forest was hot and heavy, like the breath of the very dragon they travelled to face. His hair was now damp with sweat, clinging to his face in rat's tails. He had long since shed his coat, the heavy material now resting in his pack. They were all suffering, Thorin thought grimly as he looked around at his sweltering Company. If the sheer never-ending trees and gloomy sights didn't drive them mad, the heat would. The one who unsurprisingly seemed the least bothered was Clarrei, only a few beads of sweat rolling down her forehead. But she helped where she could, thought Thorin with a smile. She went about the group, fanning the others and helping those who fell. And at night, she and Thorin sat talking by the fire about what lay ahead. But still, Thorin began to frown. No matter how much help the young dragon gave, Thorin could feel his patience slipping as what felt like months slipped by. There was only a little bit of time left before Durin's Day. He could not fail, Thorin thought determinedly.

A.N. Well, I'm sorry it's a little shorter, but I have good plans for next one, including a very familiar Mirkwood Elf...bwahaha yes I am a little bit evil. Anyway, I hope you enjoyed, I'm sorry it's been a while, but I've had to sort out my subjects for my last year at school, so I should be getting onto the next one soon. Peace out, my hobbits! 💥