Battle of the Forges

Clarrei's throat felt unbearably dry as she and Bilbo found their way through the tunnel and came out into the forges, which currently was the hiding place of the Company as Smaug breathed hot flames of rage into the long-dead furnaces, bringing them back to life. As the flames from the dragon's mouth faded, Clarrei's keen eyes spotted Thorin immediately, as he did her. Thorin's face paled as he saw her injuries, and he dropped the barrow he was carrying, sprinting over to them. Bilbo hastily passed Clarrei to the dwarf, who gently kissed her lips, before peering at her throat.
"Clarrei, are you alright? Your throat, what did he-"
Clarrei just kissed him, silencing his babbling, before she grabbed his hand.
"I'll take him, you get out of here!" She said, indicating Smaug, who had not yet noticed the return of his daughter. Thorin shook his head firmly.
"Absolutely not, you're too hurt to do this. We already have a plan."
Clarrei sighed, wincing as her rapidly healing throat throbbed.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Thorin seized Bilbo by the shoulder and pointed to the lever high above them.
"Master Baggins, I need you to pull that lever on my command!"
Bilbo nodded before speeding away, leaving the dwarf and the dragon to watch the battle unfold. Thorin turned to Clarrei, desperation in his eyes.
"Clarrei, I need you to hide and don't come out until I find you, do you understand?"
Clarrei just shook her head, chuckling.
"And when have I ever done what you told me?" She asked, raising an eyebrow and grinning. Thorin ran a hand through his damp hair, before he finally decided there was no arguing with her.
"Fine, but you stick to my side, deal?"
Clarrei softly kissed his lips, whispering:
"Deal."
The two froze as the ground shook, and they turned in unison to see Smaug peer around the corner, his belly glowing with dragon fire. Just as he took a breath to blaze them into oblivion, Thorin yelled:
"Now!" Which sent Bilbo leaping onto the lever, using his weight to pull it down, causing jets of water to pour from the mouths of the great statues along the wall. The force of the water was enough to knock Smaug off his feet, and sent him smashing into one of the burning furnaces, screeching in fury. Thorin felt a sense of victory as Smaug beat his great wings and retreated into the smoky shadows, and the jets of water sent the long-silent cogs into motion. The stone baskets that hung across the ceiling jerked along before traveling smoothly along a long-abandoned route. Bombur pulled on the chain that began to move the bellows, sending the already blazing fires of the furnace into white-hot flames that truly looked like dragon fire. There was the sinister click of claws as Smaug clambered over the furnaces, his eyes glowing as he looked at the pair who watched him from below. As he slunk towards them, Bifur and Gloin peered out from the baskets of rocks, flash powder at the ready. Dori launched handfuls of powder at the beast, making him flinch, but nothing seemed to be able to stop the dragon from going towards his targets. That is, until Gloin severed the rope holding up one of the rows of stone baskets, sending tonnes of rocks tumbling onto the beast's head. That slowed him down, and Thorin took the opportunity to grab Clarrei's hand and. Take her to the chain next to one of the forges, that was now, by his calculations, full of bubbling liquid gold. Thorin and Clarrei pulled on the chain, opening the small gate, allowing the river of molten gold to pour into the trough-like trail that would flow through the Mountain. The pair watched as the remaining hatches opened on the forges, adding their gold to the flowing river, before Thorin darted away, pulling Clarrei with him.
"Lead him to the Gallery of the King!" He ordered over his shoulder as he grabbed the barrow that was used to cart jewels many decades ago. He looked about himself, and muttered:
"Ah, to Hell with it."
And kissed Clarrei full on the mouth. Who knew if he would live to do it again. As he broke away, he looked at her flushed face, and whispered.
"Stay with me?"
She grinned, winding her fingers through his.
"Until the end, my love."

----------------------------------------------------------------

Clarrei panted as she and Thorin ran towards the gold river, narrow in hand. They ran in between Smaug's thrashing legs as the huge dragon struggled to throw the stone baskets from his neck. Thorin pushed the barrow into the river before leaping onto it, and Clarrei followed, landing on the dwarf's back. He grunted as she landed on him, and she whispered a hurried "sorry". Clarrei looked behind them to see Smaug giving chase, but it was too late for him. The wall was already crumbling in front of the tunnel the two escapists were going through. As she watched with a feeling of triumph, Clarrei's keen eyes spotted Bilbo landing heavily on the ground as he tumbled from where he had stood to pull the lever. She saw the hobbit freeze as he saw Smaug approaching him with venom in his fiery eyes, and she yelled out:
"Keep going, Bilbo! Run!"
She couldn't see if the burglar had followed her advice as she and Thorin slid down the tunnel decline, but she prayed that he had, for his live's sake. She could only watch and hold her breath as Thorin balanced the barrow precariously in the trail of gold, before the tunnel opened up to reveal a huge cavern with numerous chains hanging down from the ceiling.
"Jump!" Thorin yelled. Clarrei looked at him incredulously.
"What?! Are you crazy?"
"Just do it!"
And as they reached the edge of the trough, Clarrei leapt, stretching with all her energy, and feeling close to tears as her fingers closed around the great chain in front of her. There was a grunt underneath her as Thorin did the same, and Clarrei looked below her, her stomach churning to see the gold flowing into a strangely-shaped mould. The barrow clattered to the ground, and the dragon shuddered as she imagined her and Thorin lying crumpled on the ground with it.
"I told you you could trust me!" Thorin called from below her, grinning. Clarrei couldn't stop the smile that spread across her face as she saw those eyes gleaming at her in the darkness. Together, they slid down the chain, and Clarrei laughed as Thorin caught her around the waist and pulled her close. He seemed to take a deep breath before speaking again, an his next words sent a spear of shock through her heart.
"Will you marry me?"

A.N.// Yes, I am that mean, please don't kill me! I actually had a much more romantic proposal in mind, so I promise, Thorin will do that later in the story, I just figured he'd want to get the question off his chest already, considering he doesn't know if he's going to make it. Don't worry, there will be feels all around eventually! I hope you enjoyed this chapter, and I'll see you soon, my hobbits! 💘🐉🌹
~ Luna