Attack on Lake-Town

Clarrei stared after her father in horror as he flew toward Lake-Town, the sense of death overpowering her. She broke away from Thorin and slid down the rope, grunting as her feet his the floor with a dull thud. The young woman sprinted towards the gaping hole that served as the entrance to Erebor, her injuries throbbing with every step. She could faintly hear footsteps behind her as the Company followed, but she paid no attention. The cool night air hit Clarrei's face as she leapt over the debris, her eyes shifting gold and her hands coating in flames as she prepared to shift, but a hand on her shoulder stopped her. Clarrei turned to see Balin looking at her with fear in his eyes.
"Lass, what do you think you're doing?"
Clarrei wrenched her shoulder away as she felt the bones in her hands crack and shift to become more reptilian.
"I can't just let him kill them, Balin. I won't let there be another Dale." She said stonily, as her teeth sharpened and scales patterned her face. "If you respect me at all, you will let me do this."
The old dwarf hesitated, before nodding reluctantly.
"Just," he said, as Clarrei turned to leave. "Make sure you come back, lass."
Clarrei smiled at her friend, before her wings burst from her back, and she sprinted towards the outcrop, leaping into the air and bursting into full dragon form, screeching in pain as her injuries burned. The flames disappeared from her body, and she beat her great wings, setting her fiery eyes onto the dark shape of Smaug as he grew ever closer to Lake-Town.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Thorin watched Clarrei leave, leaping down after her.
"Clarrei!" He called, before he saw Balin grab her by the shoulder. The old dwarf seemed to ask her something, which she shook her head and snarled at. Then there seemed a moment of agreement between the two, before Clarrei shifted and took off. Thorin ran towards Balin, staring at the sky in horror as Clarrei flew towards Smaug.
"CLARREI!" He bellowed, waving his arms. His heart was pounding, sweat dripping down his forehead. He couldn't lose her, not now. Not now they were so close! Thorin tore at his hair in frustration, before Dwalin spoke behind him.
"We have to go and get her, it's suicide if she goes alone." The warrior growled, his eyes gleaming as he looked at the small line of buildings that made up Esgaroth. Thorin saw the look in his friend's eyes and knew that he too was thinking of his One, who waited for him back in the town. Thorin was ready to grab his sword and swim across the lake if he had to, but Balin, ever the voice of reason, spoke.
"It's suicide if we go! If we go there, we are getting between two dragons having a duel six decades in the making. We need to let Clarrei do this, for her own mental sanity as well as our safety."
Thorin whipped around and glared at his friend.
"She's hurt!" He yelled. "Clarrei can't beat him like this, he nearly ripped her throat out!"
At that, Balin avoided his leader's eyes.
"I know, Thorin, but try to have faith. She's gotten through worse than this." He said, quietly, and though he never said it, all the Company went silent as they remembered the Mirkwood dungeons. Thorin sighed, pressing the palms of his hands to his eyes as he tried to stay calm. And little Bilbo spoke, his voice, while shaking, was matter-of-fact.
"Well, as far as I can tell, there is a watchtower up there." He indicated the great stone figure. "If we want to see what's happening in Lake-Town, that's our best option."

----------------------------------------------------------------

Clarrei was exhausted. Her wings ached, everything ached, and all she really wanted was to curl up in a soft bed and sleep for a thousand years. Or more, she thought bitterly. But still, she kept going. She had to. Clarrei roared as she pictured little Tilda's face looking up in fear as flames erupted across her home.
"That won't happen." She thought to herself, as her teeth found Smaug's tail. The larger dragon screeched in surprise as Clarrei pulled him back, so they were both hovering above Lake-Town. Smaug snarled as he saw his daughter, hissing:
"Don't you ever die?"
Lashing out with her rear claws, which her father dodged, Clarrei snarled back:
"I'm your daughter, I tend to survive when I shouldn't."
Smaug narrowed his glowing eyes, and swung his great tail to smash Clarrei in the ribs. She bellowed in pain, before lowering her head and barrelling mid-air into Smaug, wrapping her tail around the older dragon's body and squeezing with all her strength, constricting the air from his lungs. As he gasped for air, Clarrei looked about underneath her, watching as the inhabitants of Lake-Town stepped out of their homes, staring up at the battling dragons in astonishment and fear.
"Get out of the way!" She roared, but in doing so, released her grip, allowing Smaug to escape from her grasp and shoot a jet of flame at the spectators. As the buildings fwooshed into flame, Clarrei screamed, turning to face the older dragon, who grasped her neck with his claws and forced her out of the sky, hurtling into the buildings below. Clarrei grunted in pain, and things began to darken in the edges of her vision. But when she opened her eyes, a little figure stood by her head, watching her with a mixture of sadness and panic in her eyes. A little figure with braided light brown hair. Clarrei's eyes widened as she realised who it was.
"Tilda?" She asked in her deep, gravelly voice. The little girl jumped at the sound, but a nervous smile stretched its' way across her face.
"You told me you wouldn't leave me." She said, stretching out a shaking hand and laying against the injured dragon's nose. "Please don't break that promise."
And Clarrei smiled, huge, fat tears rolling down her scaly cheeks as she struggled to her feet. The lithe, red-haired Elf from Mirkwood raced over and seized the girl, nodding to the dragon as she led Tilda back to a boat that sat on one of the water streets of Lake-Town, in which sat Oin, Bofur, Fili, Kili, and Sigrid. Clarrei dipped her head to all of them, before spreading her great wings, and, using an unexpected burst of energy, soared into the sky, screeching as she hit Smaug from the belly, scraping her claws across his already injured stomach. Smaug roared, trying to clamp his teeth across Clarrei's throat again, but she was ready for him. She swung her neck back and sank her own teeth into her father's neck. Hearing a call from below, she true bed to see Bard and Bain watching them both in shock from below, where they stood in a blazing watch-tower. Bars stood by the Windlance, and, in his hands, he held a long, black arrow. Clarrei had heard of the Black Arrows from Radagast years ago, and knew the legend of Smaug's weak spot on his chest, and so turned her body around so Smaug was facing the Windlance.
"Shoot him!" She yelled, breaking her teeth from Smaug's throat. "Bard, now!"
The bowman blinked in astonishment, before nodding grimly, and attaching the long arrow to the huge crossbow. Clarrei held Smaug with great difficulty as he struggled, but the thought of her dwarves back in Erebor gave her the last drops of strength she needed as the arrow flew straight and true, hitting the chink in Smaug's armour with a dull thud. The older dragon screeched in agony as he pushed away from his daughter and spiralled into the sky, his wings flailing frantically and tail lashing the night air. Clarrei flew higher, away from the flames, and watched with grim satisfaction as the light died from her father's eyes, and he plummeted into the icy waters below. Taking a deep, shaking breath, Clarrei flew down to the water, scooped some into her huge jaws, and carefully poured it on the burning buildings, as the people of Lake-Town watched from the evacuation boats a little way away. When the flames were doused, Clarrei raised her head to the darkening sky and roared in triumph, before taking to the air once more, tiredly beating her aching wings as she slowly made her way back to the foreboding figure of Erebor.

A.N.//  I HAVE RETURNED! And finally, we have arrived at the final movie, people! Feels await within, but I just want to say, I do plan to do a little bit set after the original story, but first I have to get through the Battke of the Five Armies, so let me tell you now to get the tissues 😭😭😭 hope you enjoyed this chapter, and I shall see you soon, my hobbits! 💘🐉🌹
~Luna