The Journey Continues

Clarrei sighed as she looked back on Rivendell. It was the first place she had journeyed to all those years ago, it was like leaving home all over again. Squaring her shoulders, she turned back towards the Company and followed as they made their way up the rocky mountain path. Some of the dwarves, specifically Gloin and Oin, still looked at her with fear and trepidation, even dislike, but she tried to throw off the hurt that struck her at their indifference. She had a pack filled with her improved clothing, a new tinderbox, and her sword had been polished and sharpened to perfection. She walked beside Bilbo, the burglar being another of the few in the Company who did not treat her any differently.
"So...what is it like, to, you know..." He flapped his arms comically, mimicking wings. Clarrei laughed at his dragon impression.
"Well, I wouldn't know." She answered. "I never learned. I haven't shifted into dragon form since I was a newborn. I can't even remember what my dragon looked like."
Bilbo nodded, his eyes wide. Clarrei smiled. She had made an unlikely friendship with the hobbit, one she was sure would last a lifetime. They made camp that night just before they reached the precipices of the Misty Mountains, and Fili and Kili set up the fire. As the dwarves, Bilbo and Clarrei began to eat the stew, the girl found herself lost in the flames of the campfire. Unaware of her actions, she began to wave her fingers as though weaving, and the flames bent and danced to her will. Suddenly, animals sprang from the fiery depths, wolves, bears, birds, until finally a dragon flew free, spiralling into the night. The dwarves were captivated, and even Thorin could see the beauty in the orange tongues of flame. A mountain was suddenly formed in the inferno, and a dragon flew towards it, carrying an egg in its claws. The scene then changed to the dragon leaving a smaller dragon before flying off. The flames then dissipated, and a small, gasping sob sounded from somewhere by the left of the fire. Clarrei was shaking, her eyes too-bright.
"I'm sorry," she choked, feeling her resolve crumbling about her. "I just-"
A boom of thunder sounded, making the dwarves look up.
"We had better get moving." Said Fili, seizing his knives. "Pack up camp, lads, or we'll never reach the Mountain in time."
Blinking quickly, Clarrei stopped her tears. She had to be strong, prove to them she was worth bringing on this Quest. She shouldered her pack, and marched towards the looming figures of the Misty Mountains.

----------------------------------------------

The rain lashed across Thorin's face, stinging his eyes as he struggled on.
"We must find shelter!" He called back to the Company, inwardly slapping himself for the obvious remark. Of course we need to find shelter, you moronic fool, the voice in his head said. We'll freeze to death if we don't find a cave. Thorin ignored the voice, and pushed on. A sudden rumble in the distance made him look up. He was sure he could make out shadowy figures moving, as though they were fighting. A sudden tug at his sleeve made him look down to see Clarrei with wide eyes. Wide, golden eyes. She would be able to see much clearer than the rest of them.
"This is no thunderstorm!" She cried, "It's a thunder battle!"
Feeling an icy claw clutch at his heart, Thorin looked up again, and this time, he could make out the shapes of the creatures that he thought only existed in legends. Well, he was now discovering that they were very real.
"Well bless me," Bofur said in awe. "The legends are true! Giants! Stone Giants!"
The Company pressed themselves against the face of the mountain as one of the boulders the Giants threw came too close for comfort, and unknowingly, Thorin wrapped his arms around Clarrei, holding her tight against his chest.
"Stay back!" He ordered, closing his eyes as another boulder was hurled in their direction. Suddenly, the precipice they stood on started to shift under their feet, and Thorin realised, to his shock and horror, that they were standing on the knee of one of the Giants.

----------------------------------------------

The Company were beginning to panic, but Clarrei was strangely calm. The only thing that sent her senses reeling was when the mountain began to split, with half the Company on one side, and her half on the other. Fili and Kili had been separated, for the first time since she had met them, and it was clear neither was enjoying the situation. She started to scream as the other leg of the giant, the side Bilbo and the others were on, slammed into one of the mountains. The dust began to float about them, and Clarrei could feel her heart breaking. All her friends, gone in that minute. She ran to the precipice on the mountain, Thorin hot on her heels, both terrified of what they would find. But the others were fine. Battered, bruised, and dazed, but alive. And that gave Clarrei more relief than anything. But her heart stopped when Bofur spoke.
"Where's Bilbo? Where's the hobbit?"
The Company began frantically looking when Ori spotted the burglar.
"He's down here!"
Clarrei sprinted to the edge, and shrieked when she saw her friend hanging off the ledge, his face pale with fear. Laying on her stomach, she grabbed his hand.
"Hold on to me!" She grunted as she started to pull him up. But as Bilbo arrived on the ledge, it partly collapsed, taking Clarrei with it. She knew she wanted to fly, to fly back to the Company, but she had no wings. Using her instincts, she grabbed the side of the mountain, her heart beating wildly at the realisation that she could have plummeted to her death. A sudden warm hand grasped hers, pulling her back onto the ledge. She was dragged onto a broad chest and lay there, panting. Looking up, she was astonished to find Thorin staring at her with fear and relief blazing in his eyes.
"Thank you." Was all she could manage. Thorin nodded before turning on the hobbit.
"You nearly got her killed!" He bellowed. "You should have watched your footing!"
Clarrei was taken aback by this anger.
"Thorin," that was Balin, trying to calm his friend. "It's not the boy's fault."
"Silence!" The dwarf prince hissed, climbing to his feet. "He," he said, pointing at Bilbo, "has been nothing but a burden since leaving his cosy little Shire! You should never have come." He growled, now looking in the burglar's direction. "You have no place amongst us."
Clarrei felt rage swell inside her. It wasn't Bilbo's fault! It was hers, for not watching where she was standing. She grabbed Thorin by the arm, spun him around to face her, and said:
"It's not his fault, Thorin! I wasn't paying attention!"
Thorin suddenly narrowed his eyes.
"You should have flown."
Clarrei blinked, shocked.
"What?"
When Thorin spoke, his voice was full of scorn.
"If you really are a dragon, why didn't you fly back onto the ledge?"
The slap echoed around the mountainside. Thorin actually lay on the ground, stunned by the strength and force of the blow. He looked at Clarrei in amazement. She was seething, steam rising from her red hair as the rain evaporated from her as it fell.
"How dare you." She hissed. "Do you know what it's like! I am the only dragon in history who cannot fly! I never learned! I have been laughed out of Dragon Council meetings for this! The only dragon in Middle Earth who doesn't know how to shift! So never tell me that I am no dragon, or you will see what I can do."
With that, she turned and stalked away, turning back to only say,
"Well, aren't we finding shelter?"
As she walked away, Thorin felt the side of his face, shocked to find blood staining his fingers from the five claw-marks on his cheek.

Well, I am alive! But this will probably be the last update for a while, because I have my exams coming up. I hope you enjoyed this chapter, and it looks like our little Clarrei is becoming more dragon as our story continues, eh?