Chapter 1

I should have listened to that damn demon last night. "Don't go out tomorrow," he said. "It'll be cold on your way back," he said. Typically, I didn't listen and I'm now stuck walking home in the pouring rain. It's freezing and the cold rainfall is making my clothes stick to me. I knew skinny jeans weren't a good idea today.
I'm almost around the corner from my house when I see a figure dash in front of me and jump onto the rooftops.
'Ah, he's late.' I mutter as I continue my walk.
'He' being a demon who regularly decides to perch outside my window. I've taken to calling him Sugar because so far he's been sweet enough to not actually come into my house, even though he definitely could if he wanted to.

That's the thing about his kind, they can pretty much do whatever they want, and we're powerless to stop them. They're fast, strong, and have abilities that we humans can't even begin to imagine. We can't exactly research them either seeing as no one's been able to get close enough. We're not even entirely sure what they are, but we're taken to calling them demons so we at least have some way to identify them. However, most people are too scared to even talk about them, even if they think they're alone. The thing about demons is that they feed off fear. They hunt by following their prey and finding out what scares them, and then using it against them. Seeing as most people are afraid of the demons themselves, they can find a meal pretty easily. So most people who are afraid of them don't talk about them, because if they find out you're afraid, they'll find you.

Personally though, I've never been afraid of them. I mean, if you aren't afraid of them, you pretty much have nothing to be afraid of. They're egotistical creatures who love to freak their prey out before having their way with them, and if they can't get that satisfaction, they won't bother. Most of the time anyway.

Sugar has been trying to frighten me for months now. At first he would grab me on my way home and try to make me trip, then when that didn't work he would make it seem like things were outside my house, and so on and so on until finally all he really does now is sit outside my window trying to scare me so I can't sleep. Which never works. The most he's ever gotten out of me is a jump after I've opened my blinds and found him still there in the morning. Do his kind sleep? He doesn't seem to. Unless he falls asleep outside after giving up trying to scare me.

I turn the corner and walk down to my townhouse, only to find him sitting on the steps out the front of it. "What are you doing out here?" I ask, surprised by him not trying his usual tactics. "It's cold and I don't want to be out here. Can I come inside?" He asks innocently, as if it were the most harmless question in the world. "Are you kidding me? You've been trying to feed off me for months and now you're asking to come inside?" He raises his hands sarcastically, "In my defence at least I'm actually asking instead of just waltzing in. Besides, I'm not hungry right now." "How relieving." I say, just as sarcastic.
An awkward silence lingers between us until I decide to speak up. "You're going to come inside either way aren't you?"
"As rude as that would be, yes probably."
"...Fine, you can come in. But you're staying downstairs."
"Thank you thank you thank you!!!" He says, jumping up and hugging me. Who knew demons could be affectionate?
"Okay, okay, that's enough." I say as I struggle to push him off. He lets go and we make our way up the steps. I'm now absolutely drenched from the rain.

I open the door and Sugar runs straight in. "It's so warm in here!" He exclaims as he looks around the exterior of the place. The kitchen and lounge room have been made into one room, and there's a bathroom and the backdoor down a hall directly in front of the front door with stairs just to the left of them. Sugar then proceeds to throw himself onto the couch, even though his clothes are just as drenched as mine.
"Make yourself at home." I say sarcastically as I make my way up the stair to my bedroom.
"I will!" He calls out as I close my bedroom door.
What have I done.