Seven

Eren

Umit has improved greatly in hand to hand combat as well slightly mastered handling the 3DM Gear. I can be even more prouder.

I decided to give him a present for his hard work. I could practically see myself through him when I was about his age. So determined to what whatever my mind was set on which was defeating titans. Back then most people liked to stay behind the walls and think nothing of what was behind them while our soldiers faught to keep the peace,if you could call it that. moment when everyone opened their damn eyes and came back to reality was when Wall Maria fell.

Walking through the courtyard to the castle I keep my eyes out for Umit. I held a small package in my hand that I plan to give him.

"Stop complaining and do it again."A familiar voice orders from behind the stables.

Curious I head towards the wooden stables. There I find Umit fighting Hencho! They were swinging and dodging fists. It was so fast most came out as blurs. I stood there in dumbstruck. Not many can go against Hencho,hell not even Mikasa. I wait until their little spar ended.

Umit thows himself onto the soft grass with a loud groan. The older man looks down at him with amusement. Now I know how little Umit improved the way he did.

"Good job Umit I'm impressed."I approach him with a smile. I kneel by his side and place the package on his lap." Because you did so well I got you a little something."

"You didn't have to."Umit says sitting up. He takes the package into his hands debating on whether to open it or not.

I place a gentle hand on his shoulder."I wanted to."

Henchou lets out a huff."Just open it brat he got it for you so it'll be rude not to."

Umit nods and carefully untied string and rips the paper off. He pulls out a forest green cloak with the scouting symbol on the back. It was specially made for his size but slightly bigger since he's still growing. Umit traces his fingers against the insignia before looking up at me with a tearful smile.

Next thing I knew I'm knocked off my feet with the young boys arms around me and his head rested against my chest."Thank Eren!"

I smile patting his soft hair."You're welcome Umit."

The rest of the day Umit wore the cloak proudly around the castle never wanting to take it off. I could see a younger me through the boy. His eyes sparked with a never ending flame ready to engulf his enemies with just one firey gaze.

"Eren I hope you are ready for tomorrows departer."Corporal say during dinner.

The spoon in my hand almost slipped from my fingers when I realize that tomorrow morning we were all going to leave the inner walls to fight again and possibly  learn more about the titans.Although I prefer killing them instead. But what shocked me the most was that I actually forgot about it! I was so caught up witu teaching Umit and taking care of him that the mission slipped my mind.

"Y-yes sir."I replied trying to sound convincing because for once I wasn't ready.

Anything can happen out there in the field. I hate to admit it but I was close to dying a few times out there. I can't afford to lose my life to a titan or to anyone right now. I am now responsible for Umit who is like a little brother to me. He lost his family and without me he'll be all alone again. I'm not going to let history repeat itself not to Umit.

That night I had Umit stay up a little bit longer so that I could have a talk with him.

"You're leaving tomorrow?"He says with a hint of worry in his eyes. The fire in them dimming.

"Yeah but we'll be back later in the evening or the day after."I reply scratching the back of my head."Will you be fine on your own?"

I don't feel comfortable leaving him here in the dungeon at night. It'll get cold and when it rains a bit damp. I don't want him catching a cold.

"I'll be fine."Umit says with confidence."But what about you?"

I tilt my head to the side a bit surprised by his question."Me?"

"Will you be alright out there?"

Letting out a breath I open my arms for him to lean into me. He crawls into my arms nuzzling against my chest like a little pup.

"I'm not to sure Umit. Anything can happen and I don't know if I'll sur-"

"Don't say that!"The little boy snaps.Tears form in his eyes the fire no longer there. His small hands clutch my shirt tightly onna firm grasp refusing to let go anytime soon."I lost my parents already I can't lose you too! You're the only family I have left! Don't leave me Eren please don't leave me alone!"

I hold onto the crying boy tightly as tears of my own fall down my face."I won't I promise. Shh I promise."

I swore that won't die. I swore I will not leave Umit alone.

"I promise."