Chapter 21 The Pond on Pettibone Creek

"I'm sorry none of the eggs imprinted Kay." Adrianna said.

"Mother Ruth assured me there would be other eggs."

"Are we swimming here Mama?" Eryka asked.

"Yes, do you know how to swim?"

"No."

"Then I'll teach you."

"What do you think of married life?" Adrianna asked.

"It suits me well. I love Sam and I know he loves me."

"Is it like your first time?"

"No, this is different. I knew what I was getting into when I accepted his proposal. In some ways it's better. I know Sam."

"Your entire courtship lasted slightly less than a month."

"And most of it was caring for his kids," Kaitlyn laughed. "Gemma, the babies will be fine, come swimming."

"I've never swam before."

"Let's get naked Gemma. I'll teach you," Adrianna laughed, then pulling her dress off over head ran into the pond.

Kaitlyn carried Eryka into the pond and supported her as she learned to float.

"Addie what are you doing on that rock?" Gemma asked.

"CANNONBALL!" Adrianna jumped into the pond and splashed Kaitlyn and Eryka as she surfaced. "It's not that deep Gemma, let's jump together." Soon Adrianna, Gemma, and Eryka were jumping off the rock. Kaitlyn stationed herself close to the rock catching Eryka as she jumped. Adrianna was able to get Eryka to laugh as she pretended to walk off the rock falling into the pond. One of the twins started to cry and Kaitlyn left the water and put the infant to breast.

"You're lactating!" Adrianna said.

"Elodia said I could if I put a baby to breast consistently. With two of them it happened quicker than we anticipated."

"Are you making enough milk?"

"Usually but I do add a bottle here and there. Maryann has me drinking beer as it helps."

"You look absolutely beautiful nursing." The second twin started to cry so Gemma assisted her to position both babies so they could nurse.

"Gemma's a wonderful help." Kaitlyn said.

"I love helping with the twins," Gemma said.

"I'm going to sunbathe and dry off on that rock," Adrianna said. "Join me Gemma?"

"I will after the babies are asleep."

"I will Aunt Addie," Eryka said. They oiled each other's back and sunned on the rock. Later Gemma joined them. In the early afternoon they swam for a second time. Gemma and Eryka doing cannonballs with Adrianna off the rock.

"It's time to get dressed and return to civilized life," Kaitlyn said.

"I'm going to stay naked all day," Adrianna teased.

"You're a bad influence on the girls Adrianna Greene," Kaitlyn laughed.

"I'm going to bring James here."

"Addie, you are so naughty. I'm not surprised. We need to get back."

"You're eating with us tonight?"

"Yes, and I'm bringing a cake. Does Gemma know what we have planned?" Kaitlyn whispered.

"Not a clue."