"Sure," he shrugged, turning his gaze to the window.

There was a tension I can't quite describe between us. It made the air feel stiff and thick. Running my tongue across my teeth, I began driving, having no idea where to go.

"There's a really good hamburger place in the main street," Xavier offered finally, seeing as I had done three laps of the main block, trying to find somewhere. "I usually have lunch there."

"Okay," I replied, my voice small.

Would have been helpful to say that ten minutes ago.

Finally finding a park in somewhat of a close distance to the burger joint, we piled out of the car. It was a small shop but it was warm and cosy. One step in, the people at the tables, reading newspapers looked up, offering a friendly smile. The people behind the counter jostled forward, eager to serve. A smile slowly stretched across my face. It was nice to be reminded of people who actually want to help you.

Xavier straight away rattled off his order and I panicked, not having even looked at the menu. Darting my eyes to the left, I read what the special of the day was.

"Er- a chicken schnitzel burger, thanks," I said after her prompt.

I went to grab my wallet, but Xavier just shook his head.

"I can pay for my own meal, Xavier," I said, my tone curt.

He met eyes with me. "I know, but you drove."

"Doesn't matter," I argued, trying to get around him so I could pay.

The lady chuckled. "Lover's quarrel?"

I stiffened and Xavier didn't miss a beat. "Yes," he laughed, glancing at me briefly, before looking back at her. "She's stubborn. Can never just let me pay."

The lady laughed again, her cheeks rosy. He paid and swiped our drinks from the bench. I glowered at him. He didn't have to pay and he didn't have to lie. We weren't in a relationship, why did he say we were? I guess it would have been awkward to do the whole, "oh, we're actually not together..." thing, but still. Did he want to be in a relationship?

I was definitely overthinking this, as usual.

"Yes?" he asked with a sigh. "What's your problem now?"

"I could have paid," I said quietly, my thoughts processing at such a fast pace, I couldn't control how strong my voice came out.

"I know."

Ignoring him, I collapsed heavily onto the wooden chair. I leant onto the table and scrutinised Xavier for a moment. He obviously was in distress, but he had so easily talked to the lady in there as though he didn't have a care in the world. I wonder how many times he had charismatically spoke to me and acted so cocky, when in fact, he was actually not okay? I wonder if I had been unable to see through his mask for some time now.

"What are you looking at?" he asked me.

"Just trying to figure you out, Xavier," I said honestly.

"Don't waste your time," he said. His tone was light and joking, but his eyes said the opposite.

We sat in silence for a few moments. I distractedly ate my food, deep in thought.

"Where's your brother?" I blurted, unable to keep quiet any longer.

"Hmm?" Xavier asked, dragging his eyes from the newspaper in front of us.

"Your brother?" I repeated, my eyes glued to his. "Where is he?"