Chapter 13: Rude Awakening

Justice struggled to keep up as Demetri practically sprinted down the hallways. His older brother was almost jumping up and down behind him with an anticipating grin on his face. Justice felt he was way too excited, especially as her hands had started getting clammy and the sudden lump forming in her throat was making it hard for her to swallow.

Yes she was nervous. And she wasn't quite sure which aspect was making her more nervous; the witch, the sleeping vampire or the testy brotherly relationship between Demetri and Luciano. The last thing she wanted to deal with was having to get in the middle of another fight.

They came towards a stone wall corridor that was home to several metal doors. The place was damp and creepy and left her with this odd feeling of uneasiness. All you could hear was the sound of their footsteps on the cobble and the odd droplet of water dripping as the descended down the corridor. Justice wondered how long they would have to walk until they got to where they needed to be. The further they walked down the corridor, the more uncomfortable she felt. If Giovanni hadn't been behind her, she might've turned round and ran back the way they came.

She looked back at Giovanni, who grinned and winked at her casually and when she turned back around, Demetri had halted in front of her. She bent her head to look around him to see a small frail looking woman, glaring up at Demetri in detest.

"I trust you know why you are here?" He addressed her coldly

"If it were up to me, he would never be woken again." The witch's near yellow eyes burned with hatred and Justice found herself shuffling backwards a little. As if he sensed her intimidation, Giovanni lay two steady hands on her shoulder and held her in place.

"Well how fortunate for us that it isn't." Demetri snarled. "Open the door, witch."

Scowling, the witch turned her back on them and held her hands in front of the door as she began chanting under her breath. Seconds passed before they heard the sound of imaginary bolts and screws configuring and dis-configuring then the metal door flung open.

The witch stood in the doorway and briefly looked back at them over her shoulder.

"In." Demetri commanded.

The witch stalked in the room muttering words of disdain that Justice could barely hear as she followed in. The room mirrored something she could only describe as a prison cell. The room smelt ten times as damp as the corridor had and only held a bed that was up against the wall and a simple chest of drawers. In the far corner there was a old sink, with a tap that just kept dripping. It was basically the only sound in the room that was stuffy with awkward silence.

Justice could see his body lying there as still as ever, the only movement was the occasional upheaving of his chest as he breathed. She stayed close to the door as Demetri and Giovanni moved closer to the bed, overshadowing the witch with their tall stature.

"Wake him." Demetri demanded again.

"The spell is done." She bit back.

"Hate to state the obvious, but he isn't awake." Giovanni pointed out.

"That is because he must feed." The witch uttered through gritted teeth.

Demetri gestured for her to step forward. "Then by all means, feed him."

Taken aback by his statement, she stuttered and then spat in disgust. "I do not fee -"

Demetri took one step to level himself with her and she suddenly lost her voice.

He towered over her, shadowing her, intimidating her. Again.