chapter 2 || sure, i'll watch it for you. thanks for using your manners

Start from the beginning

By the time lunch rolled around, I was starved to the point where I could eat a train if the opportunity presented itself.  I had to forego eating breakfast as I would have been late for school, but it slipped my mind to pick up a muffin or something (it didn't help that I didn't eat dinner last night either).  My journey to the cafeteria was brisk; I bolted into the line and ravenously scavenged for food.  My tray found a temporary home at a secluded corner table, where Eddie, Myra and I, plus a few other Erudite I didn't know very well, ate everyday.  The unforgiving surface of the bench didn't even compare to the incessant grumbling of my stomach.  I complied happily with my stomach's commands and took a Mapusaurus-sized bite out of my sandwich.  Based on the fact that my last name began with a T, I concluded that I had quite a bit of time to finish my food.  I pulled out a book I snagged from the library a few days ago but didn't have the chance to read.  Books from before the war held a special place in my heart for their uniqueness – they always took place in a society without factions. Their universes were so different from the world I lived in, but that's what made them interesting.

I managed to finish just over half of the book – without the name calling interruptions for the tests, I would have gotten to at least three quarters – before I heard my name.  My sandwich was long gone, my tray already in a pile by the front.  I stuffed the book in my bag after carefully marking my page and tossed it to Eddie. 

"Sure, I'll watch it for you.  Thank you for using your manners!"

I walked up to the eighth door out of ten. An Abnegation boy stood on my left and a Candor girl on my right. The latter was being consumed by her nerves; her legs shook like the ground during an earthquake and struggled to hold her up.  I couldn't understand why everyone was so anxious.  Most people would get their home faction anyway.  The defect rate was only 15%.  I already knew I would get Erudite. 

I glided confidently in through the door to see a chair similar to that of a dentist, but with small metal details and a less sterile vibe to it.  A woman with salt and pepper hair pulled tightly into a bun and dressed in modestly long grey slacks stood next to the chair whilst typing something into a computer nearby.  The door ominously slammed shut behind me, causing the woman look up in my direction. She sent me a warm smile and came closer.

"Good morning," she addressed me politely. "My name is Marie Jameson.  I assume you are..." she checked a list on a tablet nearby before continuing, "Jaqueline Taylor?"

"That is correct," I replied. Marie's smile grew.

"Please take a seat in the chair."

I walked towards the chair, wanting to get the test over with as quickly as possible so I could return to my book. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Marie pouring a blue substance into a small glass.  It looked like a serum to me.  Erudite scientists were always looking to develop new technology and such; many of their newer serums included nano-transmitters that were able to relay data from the brain to a computer.  I suspected that was how they'd be testing us.  Marie handed me the glass.

"Drink this please."

I grew hesitant as the blue liquid swirled around in the cup. I supposed I trusted the government enough to not poison us with anything or kill everyone off.  I downed it in a few seconds.

"The serum will be in effect in 60 seconds..." Marie confirmed my suspicions. I tuned out the rest of her words and focused on the task ahead.  I hadn't realized the overwhelming drowsiness until my eyelids started to droop.  I attributed the side effects to the serum. My eyes closed effortlessly in compliance.

• • •

The sleepiness left me instantly, allowing me to open my eyes without a hassle.  I was still in the room, but Marie and the computer set were not.  I sat up in the chair suspiciously. After turning my head around to survey my surroundings, I pushed myself off the chair gingerly and inched forwards.  Two bowls appeared in front of me– one with a knife, and one with cheese.