Part 40: Shy

A/N: In celebration of my birthday (July 31st) here is another part of The Math Teacher! It is actually just a leading part for the rest of the story so it's gonna get really exciting! Can't believe we're so close to the end now :-)  

"What is that even?" Matty exclaimed with furrowed eyebrows and his mouth twisting into a disgusted one. You circled the fork around your pasta to lift it up in the air to take a closer look at it. This definitely wasn't what you expected when you saw today's menu at the canteen.

"What I thought was supposed to be a spaghetti carbonara." You replied and threw the fork back onto the plate. There was no way in the world you would let that get near your mouth and Matty giggled lightly by your reaction.

"You want some?" He offered and nodded down towards his pasta salad. You smiled softly by his offer but shook your head and roamed through your purse instead. If you remembered correctly you had grabbed an apple along the way to school when you took the bus this morning in a hurry and forgot about breakfast.

"It's alright." You giggled and waved the gorgeous red apple in the air when you found it. Matty nodded his head happily too and focused back on the pasta salad, silence falling upon you and the background noises from the rest of the canteen taking over.

It was actually quite weird today if you took a look around. The only ones in the canteen seemed to be Seniors. You couldn't even point out a single Junior and all the Freshmen's were gone too. Matty caught your observation too and leaned his arm on top of his chair to focus towards where you were staring.

"What is going on?"

"Have you noticed the lack of students or is it me?" You questioned and shrugged your shoulder. Maybe it just was you or the other classes were out on trips. But it was too weird if everyone were out at the same time without any notice.

"Yeah I thought about it when we walked into the entrance but shrugged it off. Do you think something is going to happen?" He looked back at you with curious eyes and you half nodded your head in response.

Something was definitely up but you couldn't point out what. Maybe the principal had something to say about the exams? Not that you were looking forward to that, it was the only thing in your calendar that needed to get done as fast as possible before graduation.

"I've actually heard rumors that they've all gathered us to talk about something important." Matty said after a minute of thinking and you quivered an eyebrow.

"Please not let it be exams." You moaned and leaned your arms on the table while whining. He grinned lightly by your words and shrugged his shoulders again.

"What could be worse right now? Talking about exams or having to meet up at math in a few minutes?"

"Good point." You replied before he even could finish his sentence and giggled. Math had become this rather awkward class now. It wasn't like you couldn't manage to do it because you didn't understand it, but after telling Matty the whole story about the beach and all you tried was to avoid it as much as possible.

But Matty was happy because for once you were actually listening to what he had to say. He had been saying this from the beginning and finally some sense were knocked into the both of you. Of course he felt sad to see you go through it all but now things were starting to walk forward. You were a smiling mess all the time, giggling at his jokes and enjoying not having to worry about Luke all the time. Things were really going forward.

"I'm gonna throw this out I can barely take the smell of it." You mumbled in disgust and pushed your chair back to grab the tray and trying to avoid letting the smell hit your nostrils. Matty nodded his head in reply almost too busy with finishing his pasta salad and you turned around to head towards the trashcans.