It's A Gift For You

Steven and Peridot walk back to the barn, their efforts rejected. Peridot takes out the tape recorder, presses the button and starts talking into it. "Gah! Log Date 7...forget it! Lazuli rejected my sincere apology! Why?"

Peridot looks over at Steven as they enter the barn. She points a finger up while walking. "The noses! One can only conclude that it was the lack of noses. It seems illogical to me that it would be any of the writing elements." She turns back around.

It took me over an hour to compose it and I was the most sincere as per Steven's instructions!" Steven walks over to Peridot. He puts his arms up. "It could be she's just not much of a reader?"

Steven smiles, getting an idea. "How about a gift?" Peridot turns to the side. "Another approach. Yes!" Peridot looks over at Steven. "But what?" "Hmm, think of things she likes." "Things she likes..."

Peridot starts to remember a bit of her research. "Lapis Lazulis are typically partial to water and flying." She thinks for a moment. "Hmm. Ah!" Peridot puts up her finger excitedly, getting an idea.

Steven gasps in anticipation. "No..." Peridot frowns bringing her finger down. "No?!" "Nah-ah." She then gasps, getting another idea. "But if!" "Yeah?!" "Nah..." Peridot scrunches her face up in disdainful thought as she refutes her idea again.

"Yeah..." Steven agrees, looking down at the ground. "That'd probably be overdoing it." Steven and Peridot groan together in mild frustration. Steven looks out the barn thoughtfully.

He remembers what Peridot said about Lapis Lazulis' preferences. Hm, water..." He notices the hole that the drill made. "I think you have something with that..."

Peridot looks over at Steven. "What do you mean?" Steven faces Peridot smiling. "Let's make a pool! We can use the hole the drill made earlier and fill it up with water." Steven looks over at the drill. "Hm."

Hours of time pass as Steven and Peridot get the drill to work again to cover the hole to a safe depth. Steven then gets a hose and starts pouring water into the hole.

Finally, Steven and Peridot stand next to the pool after it's completed. Peridot contemplates it with a hint of doubt. Steven just looks at it, smiling. "There. All done. Now we just need to surprise Lapis."

Steven turns around to see a rubber float in the barn. "Go get that rubber float over there and put it in. I want you to lay down on it. Don't worry. It will float." "Why?" "It's just an invitation for Lapis. I thought it might help." "Uhh...okay then."

Steven walks away. "I'll be right back." He heads back over to the silo. "Lapis!" Lapis looks down to see Steven alone. She smiles, this time with relief, thinking that Peridot has given up.

"Yes, Steven?" "I've got a surprise for back at the barn." "A surprise?" Her water wings come out and Lapis floats down once more. "What is it?" "It's a surprise! Now, no peeking." Lapis covers her eyes with her hands.

"No. That isn't going to work. Ugh. If only I had a blindfold." "Oh, wait!" Lapis's water wings pop out and fold over her eyes. "Uh...doesn't that hurt?" "Not really." "Oh, okay then. Come on." Steven takes Lapis's hands and he carefully guides her to the barn.

Steven looks over at Lapis. "You can't see through those, right?" Lapis assures him. "Actually, yes. But it's very blurry." "Good to know." Steven gestures his hand to bring emphasis. "Well, here we are!"

Lapis unfolds her wings, the smile dissapears the minute she sees Peridot proudly floating in a rubber water float. She commentates Lapis's discovery. "H2Oh my gosh!" Peridot splashes her foot. "It's a smaller-than-an-average lake!"

Lapis looks down at Steven. He explains what happened. "It's from the hole we drilled. Peridot and I sealed it and filled it with water." Lapis looks back at the pool, disappointed.

Peridot gestures Lapis. "It's a gift for you! You know, 'cause water's your thing. Pretty good, right? The barn's out here in the country, but now you can get your moisture fix whenever." Peridot wiggles her fingers. "Do all that water stuff you do!"

Lapis stares in disbelief. "Water?" She scornfully narrows her eyes. "Seriously?" Peridot continues to smile. "Yeah!" "You do realize that I spent the last few months trapped under the ocean, right?"

Peridot starts to get nervous. "Sure! But I thought-" Lapis's eyes turn monotone and her tone darkens along with it. "It was an endless, crushing darkness. Wet, and bleak, and 
suffocating. Water was the tomb I lived in for those months."

Peridot starts falling into the hole of the rubber floater, her pride shot down. Her face starts to sweat. "Tomb, you say?" "Yeah. I'm kinda taking a break from water right now." She continues to stare disdainfully.

"But thanks...for the lake." Steven starts to get nervous, his face also sweating. "Uhh..." Peridot makes quiet sounds of dispair. "Ugh..." Lapis puts a hand on Steven's shoulder, reassuring him.

"Don't worry, Steven. It's not your fault." Lapis water wings appear again. She flies off to the silo once more. Steven and Peridot stare up after her speechlessly.