The Arena: Day Four - Part Two

Arianna Winslow’s POV:

I run alongside Alistair, we are making are way towards the cornucopia area, the trees are in sight – however the third and final special attraction is due any second now if my timing is accurate.

‘’ We should stop somewhere near here, we need to get ready to hide the body of whichever one of us collapses or else we’ll be easy targets for any passing tributes.’’ I suggest.

He nods.

‘’ Let’s go look for some bushes. We’ll have shelter there.’’ He suggests and I follow him as he heads to the left of where the cornucopia is – surrounded by trees – and down a small embankment.

As we reach the bottom, the voice of the President sounds and booms throughout the arena.

‘’ Tributes! The time has come! It is now time for the last of the special attractions voted for by the Capitol. Like I mentioned yesterday, the Capitol sent us in suggestions of which of you they want to see go into the coma. So effectively, they have sealed your fate. I will now announce that the tributes that will be falling into the comas are; Arianna, Bliss, Min and Echo.

This means that all four girls will be going into the deep sleep, and they will be dependent on their male partners to retrieve the antidote for them from the cornucopia area – which all of you were smart enough to approach prior to now. As you all know, the antidotes will not be easy to retrieve and there will not be one for each of you, so it is a contest to see who will bring home the antidote for their partner.

As I mentioned yesterday, the collar setting that prohibits you from leaving a certain distance will be disabled for this. So it will be OK to leave your partner to retrieve the antidote, there is no need to be carrying them around with you if you know what I mean.

Again though, make sure your partner is hidden well or else another tribute may find them and take the opportunity to kill them,

Oh and one more thing, we have yet another surprise for you all...we have called back some old friends to help spice things up a little bit. You will see them later. That’s all I have to say to you all for now, I will talk to you all again soon. Until then, Happy Hunger Games and may the odds be ever in your favour!’’

No sooner have the words left his mouth when I feel light-headed. I stumble forwards and Alistair catches me in mid air. He lays me gentle on the ground beside him and gets to work quickly covering me up with the hedges – ensuring I am not visible.

‘’ Don’t worry, I will make sure you get out of this. I love you.’’ He vows and as he kisses me on the forehead, I feel myself slip from the world.

He is my last and only hope.

Alistair Winslow’s POV:

I jog towards the trees with my bow in hand. All I can think about is what the President said about bringing back some ‘old friends’...If that is what I think it is, then we are in for quite a shock. The last time they brought tributes back from the dead as zombies was during the first Ultimate Games, and it was quite disturbing. To think they may be doing something like that again is scary.

I break through the tree line and begin making my way through the trees and towards the cornucopia clearing. I haven’t been anywhere near this area since day one, it’s weird coming back. I stand on the edge of the tree-line and observe the inside of the clearing. The cornucopia is gone. It has been replaced by a golden table.

On the table sits three small vials of a purple liquid – the antidote that will bring back Arianna. Surrounding the small table are four figures who – unfortunately – I recognise immediately. They stand with weapons in their hand and at attention, like peacekeepers guarding the President’s mansion in the Capitol.