The Arena: Day Two - Part Two

Ethan Rhode’s POV:

We walk cautiously down the embankment from the housing area, leaving the cluster of collapsing houses behind us. We move at a steady pace, eager to find someone or something that will give our day meaning. There have been two deaths so far today; my guess is that it is Phox and Blossom. There’s no way the two of them could still be alive halfway through day two.

‘’ What do you think is going to happen with us?’’ I ask Ellie as we walk, Caspian and Lilly are a few paces ahead of us, talking between themselves.

‘’ What do you mean?’’ She replies.

‘’ I mean what’s going to happen if we make it to the last day, and it’s just the four of us left?’’ I reiterate, despite how many times we’ve talked about this, I still feel the question is unanswered.

‘’ We’ve discussed this.’’ She replies.

‘’ I know, I know...but what if it doesn’t go to plan. What if Caspian does something and you end up dead?’’

‘’ Don’t worry about the ‘if’s and ‘but’s. Everything will be fine.’’ She assures.

I am not convinced.

‘’ What do you think mum and dad are doing now?’’ She questions, changing the topic completely.

‘’ Sitting watching us on tv and wondering how someone like you can be related to someone as beautiful as me.’’ I smirk and she thumps me playfully. ‘’ And now they’re probably laughing.’’

We walk on after Caspian and Lilly for another five minutes before anything else is said.

‘’ Can I ask you something?’’ Asks Ellie and I nod. ‘’ What did you wish for when you blew out the candles?’’

‘’ It doesn’t matter.’’ I mutter and keep walking.

‘’ Dad?’’ She guesses and after a few seconds, I nod – reluctantly.

‘’ He didn’t see us before the Reaping. On our birthday. He’s never going to see one of us again. I hope he’s proud of that.’’

‘’ Ethan stop-‘’ She begins but I continue.

‘’ I hope he’s proud that his only children have been sent into the Hunger Games, and he was too busy working to even say goodbye.’’

‘’ Ethan he works to put food on our table. You know that.’’ She explains.

‘’ Whatever.’’

‘’ No Ethan. It is whatever. One of us isn’t going home, that much is certain. That means that the other person is going to die. If that is you, don’t die angry with dad.’’ She scolds.

I don’t reply, I just sigh and keep walking.

Stitch Gable’s POV:

I walk alongside Min, with Max to my left.

‘’ So what’s he like?’’ Questions Min.

‘’ He’s like me I guess. We’re twins.’’ I explain.

‘’ Can he see me?’’ She questions.

Max laughs beside me. ‘’ Of course I can see you, you-‘’

‘’ Yeah, he can.’’ I answer. ‘’ And hear you too.’’

‘’ That’s so weird. Who is he? What is he?’’