Reapings: District Eleven

Gauze Weaver’s POV:

‘’ But what if they pick me G? I don’t want to get hurt.’’ Asks my little brother, this is definitely the most scared he’s ever been.

‘’ Don’t worry; this is your first year, barely anyone gets picked on their first year.’’ I explain and regret my choice of words immediately.

‘’ Barely anyone?’’ Repeats Binn, sounding petrified.

‘’ Yes. Of course it’s possible to be Reaped at age twelve, but I’m sixteen and still standing, so you’ll be fine.’’ I smile.

‘’ But what if?’’ He continues, clearly not satisfied with his safety by my words.

‘’ Well, if you’re picked, I will volunteer to take your place and then I will come home a Victor and we’ll all live happily ever after.’’ I vow and he smiles.

‘’ Now come on, we have to go sell all this.’’ I say, holding up the bag full of dead woodland critters that I hunted down in the forest this morning with my crossbow.

‘’ OK.’’ He smiles as he climbs out of bed. ‘’ When will you let me come out with you? I know you said when I’m fifteen, but that’s way too long! You’ve been going out there since you were my age. It’s not fair.’’

‘’ I’ll tell you what. I’ll take you out tomorrow and teach you how to shoot. Does that sound good?’’ I promise and he grins broadly at me.

‘’ That sounds awesome!’’ He cheers.

‘’ Quieten down.’’ I laugh. ‘’ You’ll wake mum and dad.’’

He quickly dresses and we leave the house. It is early and the sun still hasn’t emerged over the horizon. The streets are reasonably quiet apart from a few people getting some trading done – like us – before the Reaping.

We move through the alleys and make our way to the trading area. It is inside a large – and apparently abandoned – factory that used to house the cereal crops and fruits before the Capitol gave our District a grant for a much large one.

 Even though trading is illegal in the Districts of Panem, the peacekeepers in Eleven are nowhere near as tough on us as they used to be. For a small amount of the daily intake, they keep their mouths shut – after all, they have their own families to feed.

‘’ What should we get for breakfast today?’’ I ask Binn. ‘’ I caught the most I ever have today, so we can really afford to eat.’’

‘’ How about we exchange most of this for money, and then head over to the bakery and get some bread, butter and a cake for mum and dad’s wedding anniversary.’’ Suggests Binn.

‘’ I think that will be delightful.’’ I grin and we head inside.

Consider from the outside of the building it appears the entire District is still asleep, the inside is pretty busy and the giant room is full of people going from stall to stall with what they have to trade.

‘’ Hey G!’’ Smiles a man as we step up to his meat stall. ‘’ What have you got for me today?’’

‘’ Morning Al.’’ I respond and empty the bag onto his table. ‘’ Three foxes, twelve rabbits, four squirrels and a pheasant.’’

For a moment, Al is speechless, then he begins examining the catch and laughs. ‘’ Is this stuff real?’’

 ‘’ Of course it is!’’ Replies Binn and myself and Al burst into laughter. ‘’ My brother is the best crossbow carrier in all of Panem.’’