Chapter Twenty Two - Role Switch

Gray and Erza woke up and once again ate breakfast together. Their routine continued for two more days before 'Dr. Fullbuster' gave his patient the OK to return home. Erza thanked him for taking care of her. It was as though the fates themselves were preventing her from leaving his side, for just as she was about to go home, Gray fell to his knees and began coughing.

"Oh, my goodness! Gray, are you alright?" Erza asked, anxious.

"Yeah, I'm OK," he said. "I don't know what happened, I just--AAAAAAAAAH! MY GOD IT HURTS!" Gray screamed, one hand clutching his stomach, the other, his head.

"GRAY!" Erza screamed as his she felt his forehead.

He was burning up. He began sweating, and started rolling on the ground, morning in pain before he finally passed out. Erza, as strong as she was, lifted him and brought him to his room. She immediately called a doctor to come and look at him. The doctor came and determined that he had a fever. He would be experiencing severe head and stomach aches for at least the next week. The doctor asked if anyone close to him had been sick recently. She told him that she had recovered from a cold not a day before. The doctor said he must have caught her sickness.

"Not to worry, though," he assured her. "The fever isn't contagious. However, Gray will be feeling quite miserable until he recovers, and I think a pretty face like yours could brighten his mood in the days to come. I also need someone to watch over him since I can't stay. Would you stay with him and make sure he drinks plenty of water and gets lots of rest?"

Erza smiled. She had been planning on staying with him anyway. At least now she had an excuse.

"I wouldn't have it any other way," she replied.

The doctor did a final check on Gray's vitals and left after Erza promised to call daily with a health report until he recovered. Erza laughed to herself. Well, Gray, it seems I have the chance to repay you for your kindness. We'll see how you like being put under bed rest. How the tables have turned...

Gray woke up and groaned. He knew even before Erza told him that he had a fever. Crap, he thought. I'm never gonna live this down...

Erza grinned mischievously.

"Well, Gray, whose the patient now? It seems we've done a bit of a role switch. It's my turn to play nurse. Now I get to take care of you."

Gray was glad to have Erza a little longer. He knew it was selfish, but at this point, he didn't care. He just wanted company. Erza made Gray a salad, and he pouted at her.

"What, no deluxe meal prepared by a top class chef?" he asked.

"Feed a cold, starve a fever, Gray. Feed a cold, starve a fever," was her response.

"Fine," he muttered under his breath.

The salad turned out to be delicious, and after Gray and Erza finished eating, they watched a movie together. Erza was snuggled up against Gray's chest, and he had his arm around her. He had never been more content in his life. By the end of the movie, they had both fallen asleep.

Gray woke up before Erza, and he smiled at her and began stroking her hair. She woke up soon after, and yawned.

"Morning, sunshine," Gray said. "I throught you were supposed to be taking of me now. Not that I'm complaining. You're cute when you sleep."

"Gray Fullbuster! Are you flirting with me?" Erza sputtered, attempting to sound indignant as she blushed at the comment she secretly loved.

"Maybe," he replied, smirking.

Erza just laughed and punched his arm. She got up and made a light breakfast while Gray seriously began to consider telling her about how he felt. Being with her just seemed so...natural, so...right. It became hard for him to imagine things any other way. But there was Jellal. Jellal had become the one and only thing stopping Gray from pouring out his heart to his beloved. Gray decided to wait a little longer, to see how things played out between Erza and Jellal. If he hurts her again, I swear, Gray thought, I will tear him apart myself.

Erza returned with some toast and strawberry jam, and the day went on. The same for the next day, and the next. Gray's health steadily improved and by the end of the week, Erza realized that as selfish as it was, she didn't really want him to recover. She had grown accustomed to caring for him, and she was happy spending time with her best friend. Or is there another reason I don't want to leave? Erza thought. She quickly laughed off her weird feeling and chastised herself. Of course not, I just like spending time with him. That's all. Right? Erza pushed the thoughts from her mind and went to Gray to inform him that she would be leaving the next day. What he said brightened her mood, and there was nothing in the world that could have wiped the smile off of her face.

He said, "Hey, Erza...do you wanna maybe...I dunno...go on a job together once I recover?"

"Of courses, Gray, I'd love to! Nothing would make me happier!" she replied.

She had no idea just how true her words were, or how much they meant to Gray. She just couldn't understand why she was so excited, no matter how hard she tried. She couldn't stop thinking about it, and she found herself absolutely giddy with anticipation. Back in her own room in Fairy Hills, her mission with Gray the next day, she went to sleep, and her last thought was what the hell is wrong with me?