Chapter Five - The Demon Realm

The first thing the wizards saw when they entered the demon realm was fire...everywhere. They could hear nothing but screams of agony in every direction, and every dead tree, dry river, and damned soul in their path seemed to throw waves of hatred at them. The whole world seemed to be black, brown, gray, and red...there was no hint of the blue and green that was a sign of life back on Earth. In fact, the demon world seemed to have sucked the very life out of everything that dared to inhabit it, and even the wizards felt as if their lives were slowly draining away.

"I don't like it here," stated Happy.

"Natsu, I'm scared!" cried Lucy, clutching Natsu's arm.

"We have to do this guys," Gray reminded them, "for Erza."

The others simply nodded their heads and followed him, too afraid now to voice their understanding with words. Lucy whimpered and Natsu pulled her closer to his side.

"Don't worry, Luce," he said, his eyes full of caring and devotion. "I won't let anything happen to you."

Lucy managed a small smile. Natsu's words had comforted her, but not much. Seeing the two of them together made Gray miss Erza even more. He picked up the pace, remembering that Erza was still in Poppy Village, and that they needed to get her out before the week was over. Gray's determination, though reassuring to his friends, did nothing to help his hurting heart.

As the wizards walked through the land of ash and fire, they realized that they had no idea how to find the demon, and that even if they found it, they would have no idea how to get back Erza's life force. The demon certainly wouldn't give it to them of its own accord. Shit, thought Gray, we have less than a week to find the monster and get back Erza's life force, and we have no way of doing either. We have no plan...not even an idea for one. Some rescuers we are. Gray smiled at the thought of how pathetic they must seem to the demons. Then he grew serious once again. But we can't give up, not until each and every one of us has died fighting, because God knows we're not leaving this hellhole without Erza's magic.

"Look..." breathed Natsu.

Gray snapped out of his thoughts and turned to see what Natsu was staring at. What he saw took his breath away. Everything they had encountered in the demon realm until now was either dead or dying, and none of it was worth a second glance. But this...this was beautiful. It was majestic, and regal, and elegant, but it also had an air of danger about it that only entranced him more. It seemed to beckon to him, calling his name, whispering for him to come closer. It held promises of wisdom and answers and...love. That was what pushed Gray to take a step towards it. Not the wisdom or the answers. Not even the power or wealth that would have drawn any other man faster than anything. No, it was none of those. All it took, all Gray needed to take that first step towards the dazzling yet deadly object that was singing to him...was the promise of love.