Chapter Fifteen - Brightflash's Sacrifice

Gray, Natsu, Lucy, and Happy turned to see a sight they would never forget. It was their saving grace, their final hope, their light at the end of the tunnel. Call it what you will, but it was their miracle, and it without it they would not have survived. Where Brightflash had been, there now stood a man--a warrior. He was tall and handsome, with golden hair and golden eyes, wearing golden armor that shined so bright it could have blinded the sun. It was breathtaking, and in that moment, the wizards knew that they had won.

"Brightflash..." Lucy whispered, unable to speak at the man before her.

They didn't even need to ask. Brightflash began to explain.

"When a a star falls, it may choose to turn human, but once it does, it can never turn back. Once turned human, the star will not die unless it is killed. I have chosen to turn human, for I see that you cannot defeat Kozalexaiya on your own. I also joined you on your quest for a reason I did not share. The demon was defeated once before, in your world. It was defeated by a great wizard. That wizard was my brother. He too was once a star. When the demon became too powerful, my brother knocked himself out of the sky and drove it to your world. He died in the battle, and he brought the demon down with him, but unfortunately it was not for good. When I defeat the demon here, it will be obliterated, and it will cease to exist, both in this realm and every other. However, in order to do so, I must use myself to trap the demon, for if I do not, it will not die. My soul must remain bonded to it forever, in place of your friend's, for it is the only thing stopping it from returning to your world."

"Brightflash, don't! There must be another way! You can't die, you don't have to do this for us!" sobbed Lucy.

"Don't cry, Lucy. It is a sacrifice I willingly make. I must finish the demon, for my brother. My only regret is that I will no longer be able to protect you from its kin, who will come for you once they realize Kozalexaiya is dead," he said. He handed her a small, empty vial. "When the demon and I disappear, hold out this vial, and the life force of your friend will flow into it. Once you have it, leave. Leave this place and leave the realm, as soon as you can. Try to make it out before the others find you. If however, you cannot, don't try to fight. You will not win. If the demons catch you, whisper my name three times, and what is left of my spirit will shield you from them long enough for you to escape. But whatever you do, once the shield is activated, don't look back. Promise me, Lucy. Promise me you won't look back, no matter what you hear, no matter what they tell you."

"I promise," swore Lucy, her tears now soaking her shirt, falling freely and watering the ground.

The demon began to charge at them, so Brightflash turned once last time.

"Good bye, Lucy. Don't forget about me. You're still the most devoted celestial wizard I've ever known. Do me a favor and live for me, will you?"

And with that he turned to face his fate, head on. He and Kozalexaiya collided, a clash of good and evil, and there was a flash, so bright the wizards had to turn away. One bright light in a world of shadows. One good star in a sky full of darkness. One loved soul, in a realm full of hatred and spite. Then the light faded, and as he had said, Erza's life force flew into the little vial that Lucy now clutched in her hand, as if it was the only thing keeping her alive. Lucy fell to her knees and let out her anger, her sorrow, her regret. All of her feelings she let out in a single word--a name, that fell almost like a prayer from her lips. And as her scream faded, the weight of the world seemed to be lifted from her shoulders.

"BRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHTFLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASH!"