Chapter Thirteen - The Journey

Gray, Natsu, Lucy, and Happy followed Brightflash through the world of ash and fire. Without him, they would have been lost. Gray and Natsu had several questions, so Brightflash told them to fire away.

"So.........," started Gray, "I get that you like Lucy and everything, but why are you helping us? Everything in this realm has been so cold and unforgiving...I find it hard to believe that all of a sudden luck would be on our side."

"I am older than you could ever possibly fathom," replied Brightflash. "I've been in the sky since the beginning of time, and I've watched countless civilizations come and go, countless generations live and die. I've seen the world at its best and at its worst, in its finest day, and its darkest hour. I've seen the greatest of joys and the deepest of sorrows. The most evil, disgraceful criminals, and the most selfless, honorable heroes. And I wish to tell you before we venture further that in all that time, I have never encountered a human with such a deep connection to her stars and spirits as Lucy Heartfilia. Nor have I ever encountered a group of friends so devoted to one another, so determined to save one of their own, so ready to lay down their lives for their comrades, as the four of you. Now that I have fallen, I miss the sky, and I know that I will never return, but there is no cause I would rather have fallen for than yours. It is the noblest I have ever encountered."

"Wow," said Gray, caught off guard by the heartfelt response. "Well, thank you. Ours would be a lost cause without your aid."

"My turn!" exclaimed Natsu like the immature, impatient dummy he was. "If I touch you, will I burn myself? I mean, I know I'm a fire dragon slayer, but you're pure energy."

"Seriously, flamebrain? That's what your gonna ask him? He's got limitless knowledge and you wanna know if you can touch him without burning yourself? YOU'RE SUCH AN IDIOT!" yelled Gray.

"OH YEAH, ICE PRINCESS?! WELL YOUR QUESTION WASN'T ANY BETTER!"

"ACTUALLY IT KINDA WAS!"

They stopped once they realized that everyone was staring.

"Sorry..." they both mumbled.

"To answer your question, Natsu, you will not burn yourself by touching me unless I choose to burn you," said Brightflash after a few minutes of silence.

They tried small talk for a while, but eventually, the wizards went silent. No one spoke for the rest of the journey, other than at night, before they all went to bed.

A day and a half later, Brightflash turned to the wizards with a grim smile on his face.

"Well, here we are. We've finally found it. This is where you must fight the demon and save your friend. But do not think you are done with your quest. If you lose the battle, all hope of saving your friend will be gone forever."