Chapter Twenty - Down By the River

Gray walked to the riverbank--the one place where he knew he could always think in peace. He sat down with his feet in the water and he closed his eyes. He listened to the sound of the rushing water. He heard the birds chirping in the trees. He felt a fish brush up against his leg as it swam. Gray wished he could stay there forever. He wished he could freeze time the way he froze everything else and relive this moment over and over again. Then he realized he could never let that happen, because as happy as he was, he would never be complete without Erza.

Erza... he thought. Why can't you see that I love you...you're so blinded by Jellal's brilliance. But he makes you happy... Gray didn't know what to do. He wanted to tell her, but he didn't want her to feel bad for not loving him. But...if he had a chance, however small, shouldn't he take it? He was still unresolved when a familiar voice spoke beside him, filling him with a warmth he could only ever achieve through that sound.

"Hello, Gray. I see you come here to think as well," said Erza.

Gray turned to see the most beautiful girl in the world staring back at him, the sun setting behind her, turning the sky the color of her hair.

"Hi, Erza. I'm sorry, I can leave if you'd like to be alone. And you're right. I come here often to think. It brings me peace," he responded.

"I see. That's alright Gray, stay as long as you wish. I like the company. And thank you Gray, for that day all those years ago. It was right here, when you came and comforted me, no matter how hard I tried to push you away. If you hadn't done that, I probably would never have accepted the guild as my family, or you guys as my friends."

"Of course, Erza. You know I would do anything for you, don't you?" he asked, hoping she would at least see that he cared.

"I know, Gray. That's why you and Natsu are my best friends. I know that you'll always be there."

Best friends, he thought. It's good enough for me, as long as I get to stay close by her side.

"Gray, if you don't mind me asking, why did you leave the party early?" Erza asked.

"Oh, well I was feeling a bit sick, and the noise was giving me a headache, so I came here to get away from it all," he replied.

"I know what you mean..." said Erza empathetically.

They say there in silence for a while, as the sky grew dark and the moon made the tide come in.

Gray said, "We should probably get going Erza, it's cold."

There was no response. He realized she had fallen asleep. Gray smiled at how cute she was when she was asleep. She looked so carefree. He picked her up as gently as he could and carried her bridal style so that her head was resting against his shoulder. She groaned softly when Gray started to walk. He was overwhelmed with a burning desire to care for her, and he loved her so much in that moment that his chest hurt. He ignored the pain and carried Erza to his house, setting her down on his bed and covering her with a blanket so she wouldn't get cold.

"Goodnight Erza, sweet dreams!" he whispered. "I love you."

He placed a small kiss on her forehead before leaving to go sleep on his couch. He fell asleep and dreamed of all the times Erza had taken his breath away. One more to add to the list, was his last thought before drifting off into the one place where anything was possible.