Chapter Eighteen - Welcome Back, Erza

After the five Fairy Tail wizards left Poppy Village, they were elated. They couldn't believe they had actually pulled it off. Everyone was safe, the demon was dead, and they were heading home to Fairy Tail. Of course, the last train had already left for the day, so they found a hotel and decided to spend the night. All except for Natsu and Happy, who were flying back early so that Natsu wouldn't have to take the train.

That left Gray, Erza, and Lucy together. Lucy was tired and insisted that she needed her 'beauty sleep', so she went to bed. Now it was just Erza and Gray. Crap, thought Gray. What the hell am I supposed to do now? Erza however seemed completely unaware of how awkward Gray was beginning to feel.

"Gray," she began.

"Y-yes Erza?" he swallowed.

"If it's not too personal, I was just wondering: why were you crying back in Poppy Village? I've never seen you cry before," she asked him.

"Oh. Well, it's just that..." he tried to think of something to say. He quickly came up with a half-truth. "After Ur died, I was broken inside, until I found Fairy Tail. She died sacrificing herself for me, in order to kill a demon, so when you went down the same way...I don't think I could have handled losing another friend."

"I see. Thank you, Gray. I'm sorry for giving you such a scare. But I'm alright now, and everything's going to be OK, so you needn't worry," she replied.

Gray simply nodded. That's so sweet, Erza thought. He cares so much...I never thought about the toll losing another friend would take on him. I'll have to be more careful. It's not just my life. What happens to me affects everyone around me, all my guild mates, all my friends. And Gray especially. He needs someone to be there for him. After Ur, it must have been so hard on him. Especially if he blames himself. I can't leave him. Now more than ever. I'll swear, here and now, to stay by his side for as long as he needs me to be there. Until he is ready to cope with Ur's death and move on, I will stay with him, because he's right...I don't think he could handle anyone else sacrificing themselves for him. The guilt would tear him to pieces. I'll take care of him. After all, we are teammates, and above all--friends. It is my duty to protect him...

Eventually they both fell asleep. The next morning, once the three of them had woken up and eaten breakfast, they hopped on a train to Magnolia. They wondered if Natsu had gotten there alright. Lucy and Erza talked the whole trip, while Gray sat staring out the window, thinking about his feelings. Should I tell her? He wondered. I know I said I wouldn't, but what if she died, and she never knew. I hate lying to her, and I don't think I could ever forgive myself if I let her die without knowing the truth. Ah, who am I kidding, it would only burden her. But... Gray struggled for quite a while, and when they reached their destination, he still had not decided what to do. The three friends started their walk towards the Fairy Tail guild, but something was off. When they got there, the lights were off, and there was no sound.

"Oh, no!" said Lucy. "Do you think something happened?"

"I don't know," said Gray, "but we should go inside and check."

He opened the door.

"SURPRISE!" everyone yelled. "WELCOME BACK, ERZA!"