6: The Yellow Lamborghini [Revised]

I laughed as I leaned my head against Shaun's shoulder as we walked to the street to catch a taxi. We had just seen a movie, and we were going to head to dinner before we made it home. We were celebrating the fact that I got a second job interview at Gotham's biggest hospital.

"Man, I am so lucky," Shaun spoke, grinning at me. "Maybe I'll look for a job after you nail your interview. So we both have money. We could move to a better place, finally have a kid or get married or something. Or both!" he mused, he was about to wave down a taxi before he turned to look at the left distractedly as the taxi he wanted to flag down passed us, picking up another couple a few feet away from us.

"Shaun?" I asked, looking at him, following his gaze to the yellow Lamborghini on the other side of the street. He clicked his tongue as he eyed it. "Shaun, I thought you weren't going to do that anymore. . ." I whispered as he turned back around to glare at me, his hand coming down upon my cheek. I held my face in shock. This wasn't like Shaun, but then again, I was never with him when he stole cars. I just heard about it later when he got away with it.

I always made him return the car, or drop it off at the police station, which he always did. He liked the chase and the thrill of stealing cars, but found them worthless once he had completed the crime successfully.

I never approved, he knew that.

"Don't talk to me like I'm some criminal," he growled. "I'm just a guy who likes cars, okay?"

"Okay," I spoke as he looked both ways before crossing the street.

"Babe, come here," he spoke, he gestured me over to him as I looked both ways, then both ways once more before I crossed. I had a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach.

He pulled on the driver's door, and it popped open upwards. He looked at me incredulously before snickering, and getting inside of the car.

"Babe, I don't—"

"Get in here, now, Lucy," he spoke, eyeing me seriously as I hesitated, I opened the door and bent down low to get in the car. It was cozy, I could admit that, but I had a bad feeling about this. "Who leaves their keys in a car like this?" he snickered.

"Hey, that's my car!"

I whipped around to see a large man, he started to run towards us, Shaun closed his door and turned the car on, zipping away from the man. I didn't even have my seatbelt on, I let out a shriek.

"Close your fucking door!" he growled at me, I winced and grabbed the door, pulling it downwards to close it. What had gotten into him? Why was he acting this way towards me?

Sirens started to sound as he shrieked in joy, he spun the car around to make a u-turn as a police cruiser's headlights came into view. I screamed in shock as I clutched onto the seatbelt, feeling myself catapult forward in the car as he then sped up unbelievably fast I screamed and buckled up.

"Stop! Stop it!" I screamed as he whirred passed the owner of the vehicle, he started to drive to the other side of town as he blew through red lights and traffic stops until finally, we spun out after dodging a car that was switching from the left lane to our lane, and our car slammed into the wall.

I blacked out for what felt like forever, and when I opened my eyes, Shaun was shaking me.

I felt dizzy and nauseous.

"Babe," I heard Shaun speak next to me. he grabbed me by the arm, he unbuckled my seatbelt. "Babe," he pulled me from my spot and placed me in the driver's seat. I only saw blurs, I turned to look at what I thought was his face, placing my hand on it.

"We crashed. . . " I groaned. "My head."

"You'll be okay. . ." he spoke. "Just. . .Stay here. . .By the way, this isn't working out." He spoke, he buckled me back into the seat and ran, I wasn't sure where he was going, but I knew he'd be back. He was joking about the Stripper. Or I heard him wrong. He loved me, I was sure of it. He wouldn't ditch me. We ran away to be together. "I have more of a connection with my other gal, Darling. But I appreciate you taking the fall for me."

I was in no shape to get up, the world around me was unfamiliar, I couldn't make out anything, I was sure I had a concussion. Where was Shaun? I felt like I was about to die.

Loud sirens started to erupt next to my ear now, I looked to my left to find three cop cars were surrounding me. I turned to find Shaun, where did he go? Was he looking for help for me?

The door opened abruptly as an officer unbuckled me and ripped me out. "You are under arrest for Grand Theft Auto. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be provided for you. Do you understand the rights I have just read to you? With these rights in mind, do you wish to speak to me?"

"M-medic," I groaned as the sounds started to become muffled, I blacked out from the pain of my injuries. 

Next thing I knew, I was behind bars, serving a sentence for a crime I didn't commit.

. . . .

My eyes squinted when I snapped out of my flashback. I realized Joker had been trying to get my attention.

"Miss Morphine?" Joker questioned, I turned to look at him, tilting my head in curiosity.

"Yes?" I asked with a soft voice. 

"The henchman spoke to you." he responded, gesturing towards Shaun. "Let's not be rude to the newbies." I knew he didn't care about how we treated the newbies. He could tell there was something fishy going on. 

I swallowed hard. "What?" I questioned, then turned to look at the men, my eyes finally focusing on Shaun.

"I said, 'It's been a while,' and you didn't seem to hear me," Shaun spoke boldly, and I stared at him coldly. His body language, his stance was so defiant, it drove me insane. 

"Oh, yeah," I grinned, turning to Joker. He noticed I was looking at him now, turning to glance at me, but he double took when he saw the look in my eyes. "Can't wait to catch up." I held the look of pure insanity. The cold, cruel look of Miss Morphine.