Ch.11

This was something unexpected. Something Jake had no idea would occur. He didn't want it. Nor need it. He felt no drive or any type of motivation to take over the business his grandmother had led. But it's too late. He was now going to be the assigned head and be the leader of a massive vampire hunting group. But he couldnt do anything in regards to it. Just as Dirk couldn't do anything in regards to the blood that flows through his veins.

Jake stands in the center of a large group. Everyone is all in usual everyday business clothing. But that was only to cover up their true nature. Like a mask that hides that hides the reality of expression in one's face. He stands completely anxious and yet his body was calm. Was it because of how he was raised? To be aware of your surroundings no matter what you feel inside? Possibly. Few words are said here and there. A long speech. And then the crowning moment. A male from the desk behind the group of people walks over and places something over his shoulders. Something Jake knew very well was a great treasure his grandfather and grandmother kept, as proof of the families power. A green robe, with different colors along the lines at the opening. He slips his arms inside and the feeling brings a steady urge of mystery to his body. This robe was not a normal one. Something of it seemed odd. He was unsure as to what. But it made him feel completely different. This was something he definitely could not accept at all. Everyone congratulates him. Everyone claps. Everyone pats his shoulder, shakes his hand, smiles and laughs. But the moment your back is turned, the masks are removed. And the voices start to move from ear to ear, bouncing from wall to wall, and making its way to your brain.

"Can he really do it?"

"He's just a child, and has little experience in this..."

"He won't last,"

"Naive."

"Probably will be useless,"

"They should have picked someone else to slaughter the beasts,"

All the comments. All the doubt. All the words of pure disbelief in his own worth. It was something he couldn't tolerate any longer. He makes sure to leave the celebration, carrying the robe as he starts walking from his location. He didn't know where he was going. He had no idea where he wandered off to. He had no where to go. He just didn't want to go back. It was horrible. And he refuses to even think about this whole responsibility of being the leader. Having someone else's lives in your hands just so willingly as if their life never mattered! But then again he did the same thing. When he gave blood to Dirk. And Dirk had done the same and took it upon himself to the point of almost dying. They were in different situations with only a similarity keeping the bond together.

A similar yearning, to just be what they were without intervention. Without the pain. Or stress. Or possible death. But could it really be avoided? Jake had no answer.

Jake checks the time on his phone and realizes how late it is. It was beyond late now. He sighs. He hasn't been able to speak to Dirk in a while. Not since that one moment. His phone has been confiscated on numerous occasions during meetings. Classes. Even at home with Jade. He just couldn't get into contact with him. He decides to call him regardless due to the fact that he was perfectly lost.

"Jake?" His eyes light up brightly from behind his glasses as he grins.

"Dirk! Hey sorry to bother you ol'chap"

"It's fine."

"So...can you come get me?...I'm in the middle of town without a friggin clue as to where I am,"

"You serious?"

"Yes...heh......"

"Alright....well I don't know where you are though...but I know the entire town by heart so....where were you last?"

"The Crocker building,"

"Oh alright. Well I drive by and when I see you I'll honk my horn, be right over," he hangs up as does Jake who was practically excited to know that Dirk was willing to come get him!

He stayed at his current position and carried the robe in his arms. This robe truly brought a great discomfort to his body. He just can't understand why. He knew the story behind it. He just often wondered why his grandparents never kept the robe around and why he had to obtain it once he became head. He sighed as he checked the time on his phone, and pouted at the late hour. A honking sound from a vehicle draws his attention as he looks up and sees Dirk's truck. He grins and jumps up and runs across the street. He opens the door and jumps in automatically.

"Well someone seems happy to see me," the blonde says with a smirk. Jake chuckles nodding.

"You're darn right I am!"

He laughs and pulls Jake by his collar pecking his lips a bit with light kisses. Jake smiles.

"Heh, so how did you end up all the way out here Jake?"

Jake sighs and stares down, "Dirk....there's something you need to know..and im sorry.....that you have to find out this way..but it's better than finding out the hard way,"

"What so you mean Jake?"

He looks at him, "Dirk my family...they are hunters.........and.........today....they appointed me their head leader. Due to my grandmother's death, the leadership role was bequeath to me.." he says with a frown. Dirk's eyes widen and his grip tightens on the steering wheel he turns off his truck.

"Why....why is it I find myself in a situation as fucked up as this...."

"Dirk...."

"And im guessing that robe is also from them? You realize how fucking dangerous having that around is?"

"Dirk please I dont know everything! I was never given a choice! I don't want to be a hunter! I don't want to be the leader! I can't help the family tradition! I'm bot even bloody related to them!"

"How is that fucking possible and yet they made you their leader?"

"I'm adopted Dirk....I never had a choice as to how my life would turn out or where i would be...I used to be an orphan...." Jake says with a frown. Dirk stops himself from saying more and sighs.

"I'm sorry......"

Jake looks up at him.

"Jake...I'm sorry.....look I can't say anything to you because well shit I never asked to be part vampire....but...let me tell you a story..."