The Arena: Day Four - Part One

Start from the beginning

‘’ I don’t really have a home.’’ I admit sadly, my mother and sister are dead and my father is gone – thankfully.

‘’ Of course you do! You’re living with me now, you’re like my little sister.’’

His words bring a smile to my face and I hug him as we walk.

‘’ But what about them?’’ I ask, nudging my head back to indicate Echo and Osmo. ‘’ They are really nice, but we can’t all win.’’

‘’ I know Bliss, I know...’’ He sighs.

‘’ I don’t want to have to fight them.’’ I admit. ‘’ I like Echo.’’

He nods. ‘’ Me too kiddo, me too.’’

We walk silently the rest of the way towards the buildings, once again wishing we were anywhere else in the world but here.

Ethan Rhode’s POV:

‘’ We have to go! Now!’’ I say in a half whisper, half shout. ‘’ There’s people coming.’’

‘’ Who?’’ Lilly questions, wiping tears from her eyes.

We both had a pretty restless sleep. Lilly stayed awake all night sobbing over Caspian, I lay awake listening and trying not to think of the horrific events that took the life of my twin sister. Despite the promises we both made to our partners, neither of us want to continue. We both feel like a gaping hole has been left in our lives – for very different reasons.

‘’ Gauze and Bliss anyway. And there’s someone else with them...Echo and Osmo I think.’’ I mutter quietly, grabbing my bag and tossing it onto my back.

‘’ Maybe they can help us?’’ She asks.

‘’ There’s too little tributes left for them to make an alliance with us, especially considering how they’re already in a group of four.’’ I explain and she nods regretfully yet understandingly.

‘’ Let’s go then.’’ She sighs.

I help Lilly onto her feet and we move. I lead the way with my small dagger in my hand, Lilly has hers too. We really are a pitiful sight. We won’t stand much a chance against anyone – especially not Echo and Gauze. Our best hope is to run and hope they don’t pursuit. Nevertheless, we both vowed to try get out of here and despite how much we wish we could just lay down and die, we cannot.

‘’ C’mon!’’ I say, grabbing Lilly by the hand and guiding her away from the houses and in the only direction we can go due to the cliffs – towards the other tributes.

Lilly Cullen’s POV:

We move for about five minutes and then freeze as the noise of a branch snapping underfoot sounds somewhere close to us.

‘’ Did you hear that?’’ I whisper.

He nods and turns to face the way we have come, brandishing his dagger and holding it out before him.

‘’ Get back!’’ He yells, we are not even sure if it is another tribute or exactly where the noise came from, but just in case it is we need to ensure they know we are a threat to them – even if we are not.

‘’ I think it came from that direction.’’ I say, pointing off to the left.

We stand back to back, holding out our daggers before us and waiting for an attack we both know is coming but refuse to believe.