Chapter thirty-three

We continued talking for the next few minutes.

Umbridge calls us all quiet and she begins lecturing us.

Suddenly, we hear a loud boom. We all fall silent. I turn towards the door and just as I do, the doors burst open and in flies a red stream.

It shoots up and explodes. Fireworks. I laugh quietly, as another firework flies into the room.

Professor Umbridge begins rambling incoherently as she runs out the door. Everyone stands up, looking to the place where Umbridge ran.

I watch as Harry jumps up after her, Ron and Hermione after him. I follow after them, and run out the door.

Umbridge is yelling, "someone stop them!" And she runs towards the courtyard.

We all follow after her, there was a large crowd already, and fireworks were still going off.

I see Fred and George mount their brooms before giving off small waves as they fly away.

They leave behind a huge W in the sky. I look to my left and find Harry's eyes, before he collapses.

I begin walking over to him quickly, before I hear someone yell and incoherent spell. A flash of blue light erupts, and then I fall, everything going dark.

----------

Draco POV

I run out of the classroom after Professor Umbridge to see what was happening. The fireworks continue shooting off as I see the two Weasleys flying off on their brooms.

I look around to find Elizabeth, I see her look at Potter and suddenly he falls. She takes a step towards him before I hear Professor Umbridge shout towards the firework.

"Glacius." She says loudly and a blue light erupts from her wand. It hits the firework before bouncing off and before I can take it what is happening, the blue light hits Elizabeth, and she falls.

"Elizabeth!" I shout, running to her. I kneel down next to her grabbing her shoulders.

"Elizabeth?" I ask, quickly, when she doesn't respond, I feel her chest checking for a heartbeat. When I find a slow one, I turn to Professor Umbridge, to see that she hadn't even noticed or probably didn't care that she had hit Elizabeth.

"What the hell was that spell you used?" I yell at her not caring that I swore at her, and would most likely get detention. She turns around quickly, obviously prepared to lecture me, but then notices Elizabeth.
Just then Granger and Potter both bend down next to Elizabeth.

I shoot Potter a glare, but he just shakes his head, signaling this isn't the time. I turn back to Umbridge who is  standing over Elizabeth with a confused expression.

"It was just a freezing spell, I'm sure she's fine." She says beginning to turn back around.

"Are you serious? Her heart is barely beating!" I yell at her and she turns back to me.

"I do not like your tone, Mr. Malfoy. I would hate to give you detention." She says with that annoying smile as she turns back around.

"I don't give a damn if you give me detention." I say before turning back to Elizabeth. I barely listen as Umbridge gives me a week of detention.

"You need to get her to the hospital wing now." Potter says as I pick up Elizabeth bridal style.

I quickly walk to the hospital wing and through the door, I lay her down on a bed as Madam Pomfrey runs out.

"What happened?" She asks quickly walking over to Elizabeth and I.

I explain to her the spell Umbridge used and that she said it was a freezing spell. She runs back into her office and then coming out a few minutes later.

She injects Elizabeth with something before taking out her wand and then saying a spell quietly. I sit down in a chair next to her bed as she begins to speak.

"She'll be okay. You did a great job bringing her to me right away, the freezing was beginning to spread to her heart. It's going to take awhile for her to wake up. You should go back to class." I put my head in my hands and look down at her hand, laying lifeless off the bed.

Madam Pomfrey's words replay in my head, trying to convince myself.

She's going to be fine.

"I'm not leaving." I say sternly and I see her nod before walking away.

I look up at her, and as I do, something inside of me clicks and I realize the reason I've never been able to stay away from her.

"I'm in love with you." I say quietly to myself. As I admit it to myself, I feel better than I have in all of the past weeks. But then I realize something else. I can't love you. I can't. I do, I want too, but I can't. Me loving Elizabeth could cause her to end up getting killed. I grab her hand, as I stand up.

"I'm sorry Elizabeth." I say quietly. I lean down and kiss her forehead before turning around and walking out of the room.

It felt like something bad crushed inside of me, but I couldn't jeopardize her like this any longer. I walk down to the Slytherin common room.

When I get there, I slow down as I walk in. The first face that I see is none other than Pansy's.

"Hey Draco, I was wondering if you could help me out with something really quick?" She says quietly. I walk past her, ignoring her completely.

I didn't want to be rude but I knew what she was implying and I didn't have enough time to put any other thought into her.

I had to figure out what I was going to do.

-------

Elizabeth's POV

"She's going to be okay Harry. Madam Pomfrey has said that already." A familiar voice said, causing me to slowly open my eyes.

I feel someone holding my hand and turn slowly to see Harry.

"Elizabeth! Oh you're alright!" I hear Hermione squeal and Harry's head jerks up.

"Elizabeth! How do you feel?" He asks and I didn't know how to respond. I felt fine, but his face showed sorrow and I doubted it was from me.

"I'm fine Harry. What happened to you earlier?" I say quickly, sitting up.

"I-I saw something." He says and I instantly know what he's talking about.

"What was it Harry?" I ask quietly and he looks down.

"I saw him, he had Sirius at the department of mysterious artifacts. So we went into Umbridge's office to try to talk to him back at his house and we got caught. Malfoy was there and they caught us." He says the last part quietly.

"Hermione and I led her into the forest and the Centaurs took care of her. We went to the Ministry and Sirius wasn't there, but death eaters were." I gasp quietly. "They wanted my prophecy, said that Voldemort needed it. Sirius came and," his voice breaks. "Bellatrix killed him." He says slowly still not meeting my eyes.

"Harry I'm so sorry." I say, getting out of my bed to hug him. He doesn't say anything he just rests his head on my shoulder.

After a minute he pulls back.

"Elizabeth, I think your mother was there, with the death eater." He says quietly, just to me. I feel my breathing stop, but I don't know why.

I knew she was going to work with him to keep me safe. I shake my head slowly. I didn't want her to do this.

"They arrested her, and Malfoy's father." He says and I look at him.

"We're they okay?" I ask quickly, and he nods.

He finishes telling me what happened at the ministry but I only half-heartedly listened.

I was thinking about my mother and even more about Draco's father.