Chapter three

For a split second it seemed like my heart stopped.

I hear a few gasps and people begin to whisper around me.

I slowly stand up and as I start to walk I feel someone squeeze my hand. I look down and see Harry looking up at me.

"Good luck" he said with a smile. And with that he lets go of my hand and I began to walk towards the sorting hat.

Relax.
Relax.
Relax.

I kept telling myself. I step up the steps and sit on the stool.

Professor McGonagall places the hat on my head and I feel it jump to life. I close my eyes as it starts to speak.

"Oh what do we have here?" It said.
"Another Evans. I haven't seen an Evans in a while. But you're not like the rest of the family are you. No, you're not. There are other things about you. Hmmmm. But where to put you?"

I don't want to be in Slytherin. I don't want everyone to think I'm just like my family. I don't want to be in Slytherin. Put me where I belong. Please.

"Oh. Not Slytherin? Slytherin isn't that bad you know. But if you insist."

I feel my breath catch in my throat waiting for him to respond.

"Guess it better be... GRYFFINDOR!"
I let the breath I was holding go.

I smile to myself as Professor McGonagall takes off the hat. I make my way down the stairs and back towards the Gryffindor table.

I look up to see Ron, Harry, Hermione, Fred, George and Ginny all standing and clapping for me.

I smile and sit back down next to Harry. The clapping dies down and Harry bumps his shoulder to mine.

"See, I knew you had nothing to worry about." He says and smiles.
----
We sit through the rest of the sorting of the first years.

Many of them make their way to Gryffindor almost all of the rest go to Slytherin.

The last first year was sorted into Slytherin and I follow her as she makes her way to the Slytherin table.

I watch as she sits down and as I start to turn back around, I see a blonde Slytherin boy looking at me.

I look back at him and when he notices me looking he quickly looks down. I watch him for a second longer, and I see just his eyes look up at me and then look back down.

I grin and turn back around to Harry. A man sitting in the middle seat of the table stands.

"That's Professor Dumbledore" said Harry. "He's the headmaster" I nod again.

"And with that, let the feast begin." Dumbledore said.

Right as he said that, plates upon plates upon plates of food appeared in front of us.

I didn't know where to start so I went for the chicken tenders first.

After everyone had been eating for a while, we slowly started talking again.

"Hey Harry?" I look up to him.

"Yeah?" He responds, still looking at the pudding he was eating.

"Who is the guy with the bright blonde hair in Slytherin?" I ask as I turn around and look at him again.

His was laughing with one of his friends and I have to admit, he really had a nice smile.

"Elizabeth?" Harry said snapping me out of my trance. I turn back around.

"Yeah sorry. What did you say?" I ask

"I said, that's Malfoy. And he's not someone you would want to be friends with. Trust me" he said as he turned back around.

"Oh" Is all I said. I can't imagine why he would be someone I don't want to be friends with.

When everyone had finished eating, Dumbledore stood up again and dismissed us.

We all stand up and I begin following the rest of the Gryffindors to the common room because I had no idea where it was.

"So how's it feel to be a Gryffindor?" Ron asked and I turn to him.

"Well considering I don't know how it would feel to be a Slytherin, great I guess." I laugh as I turn back around and run into someone.

The Slytherin starts speaking before he turns to look at me.

"Watch where you're going you filthy Gryffind-" he stops speaking as he looks at me.

I notice that it's Malfoy.

I just look at him waiting for him to finish what he was saying.

He doesn't say anything so I was going to say something back to him when he speaks.

"Oh sorry about that. I thought you were someone else." He grins. "I'm Draco Malfoy, And you are?"

I hesitate before I speak, saying the first thing that comes to my mind even though it was slightly a lie.

"Not interested." I tell him as I turn and start to walk away from him.

He only laughs and mumbles something before walking past me.

He turns around, winks at me before laughing and then walks away.

I roll my eyes and look over to Hermione. Hermione, Ron and Harry are all staring at me.

"What?" I say with a hint of annoyance in my voice. No one says anything at first but then Hermione speaks.

"Nothing. It's just, I don't think anyone has ever turned down Malfoy like that."

She says, her eyes a little wider then normal.

"Well he definitely deserves it then." I say before walking off after the other Gryffindors.

I grin to myself, knowing that I had most likely just pissed him off.

I hear Hermione run up behind me and then she puts her arm around me.

"Just so you know that was bloody brilliant." She says with a giggle, and I just smile at myself.