Chapter 18 - Metal On Metal

TOBIAS POV

"Oh, come on! Let me do it!" Tris whisper-shouts. She's been going on about wanting to do the honours of banging the pipes to wake up the initiates - a not very known Dauntless tradition.

"Fine," I say, defeated. I hand over the rod-thingy to Tris and cross my arms. She holds it the way I hold Dauntless cake - like it's the most precious think ever. I roll my eyes.

Tris bangs the nearest pipe with it excitedly and the sound of metal on metal echoes around the room. Heads of the initiates bob up as they all wake, and then they groan. Some stretching, and some rubbing their eyes.

"Transfers. Be in the trai-"

"Be in the training room in five minutes!" Tris cuts me off and smirks at me. I nudge her with my elbow playfully and she nudges me back.

We walk out of the dorms and into the training room, where we have already set up the targets and knives for knife throwing.

"You should enjoy this," Tris says, smiling.

Fully clothed, the initiates start to file into the room. Including Vicky.

"Not until I get to throw the knives at you," I whisper into her ear. She snorts as the initiates approach us.

"Knife throwing?" Chloe says.

"Yeah, no shi-" Tris starts. I give her a pointed look, and 'shit' changes to 'sugar'. I raise an eyebrow.

"We have no sugar," she says, looking down.

"Yes, we are doing some knife throwing today," I say. "But we need to talk first."

If we are both on the hook for a murder, I will do anything to take us off. And 'anything' may include a little interrogation on my behalf.

Tris - and everyone else - looks at me with confusion, but I carry on anyway.

"As you have all heard the news about Finnbar, I would like to ask a few questions." They all nod except for Vicky, who looks at her shoes.

"Have any of you heard any further information about the murder?"

A chorus of 'no's flows through the group. Everyone turns their heads when we hear the creak of the double doors opening. Christina, Uriah and the Dauntless borns walk into the room. Christina's eyes widen when she sees us, and she mouths 'sorry', before stopping the initiates in their tracks and ushering them all back into the hallway.

"I told you it was the other room!" I hear Uriah's loud voice even though he's on the other side of two thick doors.

In front of me, Freya sniggers, and I can't help but give her a dirty look. She abruptly stops.

'Home wrecker..' I mumble to myself.

"What?" Tris asks. I shake the thought out of my head.

"Nothing." Okay, Tobias, that was a bit mean.

"We have training to get to so I'll make this quick," I announce. "Did any of you see what happened?"

Silence.

"Okay.." I shift my body weight to one side. "Have any of you heard any rumours?"

"Even if we have, shouldn't you know better than to listen to them?" Daniel says.

I can't help but notice the looks Freya gives him. Maybe Daniel was the one that Freya was talking to Zeke about. The one she wants but can't have.

I can't imagine wanting something or someone so much but not being able to have it. I guess it's like craving Dauntless cake when they run out in the cafeteria... Right?

"The point in us asking for rumours is that if there are any interpretations on what happened, we're going to need to know about them," Tris says, taking my lead.

"And since when are you authority?" Freya asks Tris, wrinkling her nose and picking non-existent dirt from her nails.

"Since.." Tris checks her wrist even though she doesn't have a watch. "Eighteen hours ago." I snort.

I clap my hands together. "I think that's it. We're going to start training now."

As Tris and I walk to the table on the other side of the room, I grasp her hand and I can practically feel every single eye on us.

In my peripheral vision, I see Tris turn her head to look at me. I squeeze her hand in reassurance.

We get to the table and the initiates are all in the same spot.

"Well come on!" I shout. They all scurry to where we're standing.

"The first thing you need to know about Tris and I is-"

I notice all of the initiates look at me hopefully. They're all holding their breaths as if they think the next thing I say will be to do with our relationship. Except from Freya. Freya just scowls.

"That we're great at knife throwing," I finish. They audibly let out their breaths, and a few of them even groan. However, Freya lets out a sigh of relief.

"What? Why are you all moaning?" Tris asks.

"We want FourTris!" says Elliot.

"FourTris?" Tris and I ask in unison.

"It's your ship name!"

Me and Tris look at each other for a few seconds with straight expressions before busting out with laughter.

"FourTris?" Tris asks before another wave of laughter hits her. "That's the most creative name ever," she says sarcastically.

"Who came up with that?" I ask. Everyone in the pool of initiates points to Elliot whilst Elliot holds his hands up defensively.

"Hey, don't blame me! I didn't have much to work with. I mean, come on! Four and Tris? Those have got to be the worst-" I give him a pointed look and he gulps. "Never mind."

_________________________

A/N

Sorry if this is bad ; I'm trying to finish writing before 00:00 so that I can say I updated three times today. 😂

(This is unedited for the same reason)

-Tayah💖