Chapter 2 - Keep Your: Eyes Open

When we get to the net hand in hand, we greet Christina and Uriah, who are also training initiates. We're not late, but judging by the crowd of excited Dauntless that has already gathered around the net, we are the last ones to get here.

After a round of loud conversation, the large group of Dauntless decide to back into the darkness so that when the initiates are out of the net, they can jump out of the shadow and congratulate them. I think this is the first time I've ever seen a crowd of Dauntless so big be this quiet.

"This is the place and time it all started," I say under my breath. It was quiet so I assume the crowd didn't hear. My eyes shift to Tobias who has already switched to Four mode.

Did he even hear me?
His face softens.
He did hear me.

He doesn't say anything at first, but then he leans down and kisses me. Even when he pulls back by about a millimetre, I can still feel him smiling. We are so close that we can feel our exhales on each other's lips.

When the moment is gone, I decide that I should get into character, ready for the new initiates. I pull away from Tobias's warmth and try focusing on being scary.

"I love you, Tri-"

"Shhh! Cut it out! I need to switch into Six mode!" I say with my eyes closed, and deep breathing.

"That's my girl," he says, laughing. "Tough as cotton balls," he finishes. I open only one eye to glare at him.

Once Tobias has finished laughing, Will creeps out from the crowd of Dauntless.
"Four, stop stealing my lines!!" he exclaims and almost everyone in the room is laughing.

Christina steps down from the platform the instructors are standing on and playfully tells him to shut up. By then, the laughing has died down and Christina locks her lips with Will's. They stand there and kiss. A little too sloppily for my taste.

"Shouldn't the first jumper be here by now?" I ask. But as soon as the last word leaves my mouth a figure ascends from the hole in the ceiling. A loud, ear-splitting scream following it.

"Spoke too soon," I say to myself. Judging by the lack of agreement, I don't think anyone heard me.

Unsurprisingly, I don't see a grey blur like Tobias would've seen when I jumped last year, but I see a black and white one.

Candor.

The body slams into the net and the sound of screaming is replaced by laughter as the transfer bounces up into the air, only to be greeted by the net again. Fingers lock through the carefully woven bits of rope.

Out of my peripheral vision I see Tobias smiling to himself. He must be thinking what I'm thinking.

Despite my focus on the initiate, I notice Tobias turn to me.

"I guess you're unique," he says. I didn't notice his hand laced around the small of my back until he takes it off. He steps forward to help the Candor out, and after a short moment of the shuffling of the net, I am face-to-neck with a tall-ish girl with dark hair and black and white clothing.

I automatically turn into Six mode - my face stern, arms crossed and my shoulders wide with Dauntless pride. This must look amusing to anyone who knows what I'm really like.

Tobias notices my sudden attitude change and my failed attempt at being scary and he tries to suppress a smile. His body then straightens, changing into Four: the person I knew when he only had one name.

"Name?" Tobias asks in his famous instructor voice.

"Chloe," replies the initiate in an open, confident tone. One of the many Candor qualities.