Chapter 9 - More Than Two

*the same night*
TRIS POV

"So now you know," Tobias says. I nod. "You see? This is why I couldn't tell you."

"What do you mean?" I ask.

"'A' threatened me into keeping it a secret. I told you and.." Tobias grips onto his hair, sets his jaw and lets go. "I told you it was 'A' and now whoever it is is going to.. they're going to.." He has trouble even saying it.

"Tobias, nothing is going to happen to me," I say, sitting down on the sofa.

"We don't know that," he says, joining me.

I think about promising him that I'm going to be absolutely fine, that I'm safe and I always will be. But I just can't. Dauntless is a faction full of people taking risks, danger is everywhere and danger is inside everyone around this place. It's inside me.
And danger can lead to harm.

"How do you know it was 'A', anyway?" I ask Tobias.

"I took Vicky to the infirmary and when I was on my way back I saw Finnbar.. He was talking to someone and they ended up fighting and.. Let's just say the end wasn't quite pretty," Tobias says, scrolling through is messages. I find myself biting my lip. "After I was sure he was dead, I got my first A text."

The next thing I know, Tobias is showing me his phone.

Keep quiet or Tris is next.
Kisses,
-A

My eyes widen. "Was it a boy or a girl?" I ask.

"I couldn't tell.. The texts sound like it's a girl. Who the heck says 'kisses'?" I laugh. "But they were wearing a black hoodie," he says and I frown.

"Everyone around here wears black," I say.

"And why's that?" he asks, raising an eyebrow.

"Because this is Dauntless." I say in a 'duh' tone.

"Precisely. Whoever killed Finn is Dauntless," Tobias says.

"Well yeah, I doubt anyone from a different faction would just randomly come here for no reason and kill-" I stop talking when someone knocks on the door 7 times.

"I'll get it," I say. 5 more knocks. "Jesus, calm down, I'm coming!"
I  open the door and Christina stands there nervously.

"Hey, Christina. This really isn't a good ti-"

"It's happening to you too, isn't it?" Christina says quickly. I turn around and look at Tobias. I must look confused because he shrugs.

"What are you talking about?" I ask.
Christina looks around the hallway as if to make sure no one is listening then walks into our apartment without me even letting her in.

"Yeah sure Christina, you can come in," I mutter sarcastically. She either didn't hear me or she ignored me. After I close the door she locks it.

"The 'A' texts.." Her eyes skim from me to Tobias then back to me again. "You're both getting them, aren't you?"

Tobias's eyes meet with mine. We seem to both be asking the same question through facial expressions.