Chapter 3 - Keep Your: Mouth Shut

I keep as still as I can until Tobias's breaths start to become even and his arm that's around me loosens in its grip.

I take my head off of the warmth of my pillow and look at him. He looks so peaceful - like he hasn't got a care in the world.

I, on the other hand, probably look like a wreck. I can't sleep and my hair is disheveled. Of course, I try to go to sleep, but whenever I close my eyes all I can think about is the text that was sent to me earlier. It's like the words are burned into my eyelids.

Whoever sent it thinks I know why Al died.. I thought he committed suicide. Everyone did. But if this A person thinks there was another reason to it, then maybe - just maybe - it was murder.

The thought of murder is almost unfathomable. There has never been a murder in recent times that we know of. Ever.

He could've been with us now. Maybe living across the hall, or giving me crooked smiles across a dining hall table. If I had forgiven him, would he still be alive to this day?

All I can imagine is his expressionless face on the cold pavement near the chasm. The last conversation we ever had ended with me threatening to kill him if he ever came near me again.

Then it all clicks..
Maybe that's why A thinks I know the reason for his death. Maybe A thinks I killed him.

My hands shake at the thought. I open my mouth and release a shaky breath. Tilting my head up, I try to blink back my tears.

I could never be capable of killing someone I have ever considered as a friend. Who could? My mind jumps to the time when, during my initiation, I was nearly tossed into the chasm. The scent of sage and lemongrass - once a pleasant smell. Now it's a smell that makes my stomach churn. Al could.

A tear escapes my eye. It is hot and warms up my cheek. I realise trying to blink them back clearly isn't working so I focus on getting comfortable. Maybe crying quietly will soon tire me out so I can finally get some sleep.

I've been sat up for so long my pillow is cold by now. The warmth of Tobias's chest is so much better so I set my head on it and feel it gently bob up and down. Soon, I synchronise my breathing with his and I feel sleep pulling down on my eyes.

***
TOBIAS POV

I wake up four minutes before my alarm is supposed to go off so I decide I might as well get up now.

I look down at Tris and wonder how she got on my chest. I'm surprised I didn't feel her shifting last night.

I pull a few strands of her hair back so they don't block my view of her face. I scan her for the last four minutes of peace we get before another hectic day.

Her expression suggests she is peaceful but the faintly red tear stains on her face tell me otherwise. Was she crying?

I gently shake her and her eyes flutter open.

"Tris, it's time to get up," I say softly, stroking her hair.

She hesitates before sitting up. She smiles, but her eyes meet mine for a split second and she immediately looks away. Her smile disappears.
Something's up.