How would it be like to have them living with him?

He would be ecstatic to have Yousef near him at all times. As for Susan, he didn't know. Since that one night with her, they never did interact much except about their son.

Grabbing the tumbler of water, he gulped water greedily. He had to find them first and then need be he will do the unavoidable.

But right now, he had more pressing matters to focus on.

Time was the essence.

If he waited too long it would be too late. He lifted his phone which was placed beside his food plate and again ring her.

No answer. As usual.

But the question was until when?

****

Nawal and Manal were in the kitchen with Seema cleaning up after the dinner. Salman had been busy and had said he won't be joining them for dinner. Now as Nawal and Manal washed dishes and put the left overs in the fridge, while Seema was making tea for her husband and herself, the doorbell distracted the women from their chores.

Manal dried her hands, ready to welcome her brother home. But her steps faltered when Seema stopped her, "Manal stay with me here. Let Nawal open the door."

Nawal nodded and left the kitchen but there was a frown marred on Manal's face, "What difference does it make whether I open the door or Nawal?"

"When a man comes back home from a tiring day at work, seeing his wife's face erases half of his tiredness away." Seema calmly mixed sugar in the two tea mugs. Then she continued, "From now on, whenever Salman is at home, try not to disturb him and Nawal. They need time and space to understand each other. It's not nice other people interfere in their relationship."

Manal eyed her mother thoughtfully, "You are really concerned about their relationship. Nawal is lucky to have you as her mother in law."

Seema smiled, "She is as precious to me as you are." She had a faraway look, "May be more. I see myself in her." Seema shook her head, "And most of all, after me it is her who will be head of this house, so of course her happiness means a lot to me."

Manal was puzzled and she wisely didn't probe further. Instead, continued cleaning the dishes.

Meanwhile, at the door, Nawal opened the door with a pleasant smile but Salman didn't even bother to glance at her.

"Assalam u alaikum," Nawal greeted, her eyes searching his exhausted face. But he mumbled his response and loosened his tie. "Get my dinner ready, I want to eat and sleep."

He skidded up the stairs to wash up and change his clothes for the evening. Sighing, Nawal's shoulders drooped. This is how it had been since that night when she had slipped Daud's name from her lips. He never spoke to her nicely anymore. But she was putting all her efforts in restoring their relationship. So far it had been a futile struggle but she wasn't giving up.

She hastily went to the kitchen to heat up the food for him. Then before he came to the kitchen, she had set up his food on the kitchen table. He stepped in the kitchen and grumbled his greeting to his mother and sister. And silently sat down to start his meal. When he took the first bite of his chicken curry and roti, he stopped chewing abruptly and his lips curled in disgust.

He glared at Nawal, "What is this? The roti is dried and cold."

Flustered and embarrassed, Nawal hurried to look in the roti basket, the warmer rotis were below the roti he had torn a piece from.

"Here this should be fine." She murmured.

Glowering, he taunted, "You can't even serve food properly. For once do something correctly Nawal."