Broken & Healed

(Trigger warning possibly)

He was confused. He was so confused and upset... No, not upset. Upset isn't a near good-enough word to describe how he felt. He was confused and heartbroken.

"I love you, Arthur. More than anything."

His heart had been torn in two. His mind was a train wreck. He found it so difficult to breathe correctly.

Arthur smiled and looked up at Alfred. "I love you, too."

The one person that truly cared for him was gone... No, not gone. Left him. The one person that made life worth living left him for another, and hadn't had the decency to tell him good-bye.

"You mean everything to me, you know?"

The tears were endless, it seemed, but the alcohol always ran out. He had tried to stay away from it, but it seemed to have called out to him. It beckoned him into it's grasp, and now that it had him, it wouldn't let go.

Arthur giggled; something he's only ever done around him. "That makes me happy, love."

The pain never seemed to want to let go either. He's tried forgetting, tried getting past it, but the memories were always there; haunting his mind and showing him that he truly was worthless... That truly... No one really cared about him.

"I love making you happy. Your smile is the most beautiful thing this world has to offer."

He gasped for breath as the memories seared his heart; twisting and tearing and crushing. It was so overwhelming. He couldn't take it all at once.

Arthur blushed, looking down. His ears were red with embarrassment. "Don't say such ridiculous things, Alfred."

He reached out for the bottle of whiskey on the kitchen counter and opened it.

Alfred laughed, wrapping his arms around his smaller boyfriend. "But it's true!"

The liquor burned his throat as it went down, soothing his pains. He never was a drinker before. He used to be so optimistic; so cheerful and happy. He refused alcohol, but now it was his safe haven. It was only temporary, but it saved him from the pains of heartbreak.

"Don't be an idiot, Al! Nothing about me is beautiful." Arthur pouted, looking up at the younger man.

He gave him everything... All of that was gone, now. His heart, his mind... Everything belonged to Arthur. All of him.

"Don't say such things," Alfred murmured sweetly, kissing Arthur's forehead. "No matter what anyone else says, you are beautiful in every way."

Arthur knew about his past. Everything in his past. No one in school ever liked him because he was the too-cheery-and-stupid-chubby kid with glasses. His younger twin was the favorite child. No one ever returned his smiles or so much as acknowledged his existence unless necessary. But, despite all of that, he kept that grin on his face. All he's ever wanted was one person... Just one, to just smile and wave back.

The Brit smiled, his fingers weaving through Alfred's. "I want you to come to my house, tonight."

However, Arthur did more than just that. He sat across from Alfred at a café one morning, complaining about how his boyfriend was always standing him up and cheating on him. Alfred had been so stunned. Someone actually talked to him. They engaged in conversation, and agreed to see each other again. They did for weeks, which turned into months. Alfred finally felt something he'd never thought he'd ever get the chance to feel.