Grief Blames pt. 2

(One and only time I will do a pt. 2)

Alfred sunk into the maple-scented couch as he stared at his phone.

23 missed calls
41 unread texts

Alfred rolled onto his side and set his phone down. Alfred was almost afraid to read the texts or listen to the voice mails. What if it was just more anger and more accusations? Alfred didn't want to risk it. Not right now. Right now, Arthur just needed some space. Some room to breathe.

Arthur was grieving over the loss of his elder brother and Alfred had failed to show up at the funeral to be there for Arthur.

"You're awake," came the soft voice of Alfred's younger brother. Alfred rolled his head on the pillow to look up at the sleepy man. "I thought you'd still be asleep after staying up so late last night."

The older brother smiled and shrugged. "Yeah. I hoped I'd sleep more, too. Guess it's just not meant to be. Sleep and I, always destined to forever be apart."

Matthew snorted and giggled, then leaned down to kiss Alfred's forehead. "I'll make breakfast." Matthew whispered, then stood straight.

Both jumped as Alfred's phone buzzed on the table. Matthew ran his fingers through Alfred's hair, then made his way to the kitchen. "Answer it. Just once, Al."

The older sighed and picked up his phone.

Sweet buns~

Alfred remembered why he decided to put that as Arthur's contact. They thought it was funny, but Arthur began to whine and pout as Alfred actually put it in his phone as his contact for Arthur. Alfred gulped and answered. "Arthur?"

"Oh, thank Queen Elizabeth!" Arthur sobbed on the other line, relief flooding his voice. "You're okay!"

"Yeah, I'm fine." Alfred muttered, rubbing his face.

"Why weren't you picking up? You always pick up!"

"I was asleep, Arthur." Alfred sighed.

"Where? Where are you?"

"I'm away, Arthur. Like you told me." Alfred answered and sat up. He heard Ted's deep voice lower to a whisper as he spoke with Matthew in the kitchen. "You told me to go away, Arthur. I'm giving you room to breathe."

Arthur sucked in a deep, shaky breath. "Right... Right... I said that... I said terrible things. When will you come back?"

Alfred glanced over his shoulder at Ted and Matthew. "I don't know. Maybe after the weekend. Maybe longer. Just... a while."

Arthur paused, wanting to say something, then sighed. "Yeah... Okay. I just- I don't want to lose you, too."

"You won't. We just need a break." Alfred assured Arthur, standing up. "Just a break, Arthur. Then everything will be okay... Maybe."

The Brit stayed silent. They both did. Alfred listened to his brother's and his boyfriend's conversation. "Okay..." Arthur finally breathed. "Alright. Okay."

"Okay..."

"I... I'm sorry." Arthur muttered. "Be safe."

"I will. Goodbye, Arthur."

"... Bye."

~

Alfred sighed as he opened the door to their shared apartment. Arthur should be at work, so he should have another hour or so. Alfred cleaned up around the apartment, fixed together a quick meal for two all while giving their two cats attention.

He set the table and dished up the food, just in time.

The lock on the door clicked, then the door groaned as it was opened. Arthur smiled as he looked down at Crumpet as she meowed and rubbed against his leg. He closed and locked the door and looked up. His emerald eyes widened.

Alfred smiled. "Welcome home, babe."

Arthur slapped a hand over his mouth and dropped the things he had in hand. He choked on a sob, tears welling in his eyes. "Alfred..." He murmured, then launched himself into Alfred's welcoming arms. "Alfred! I'm so sorry! I'm sorry!"

"I know." Alfred whispered, kissing the top of Arthur's head. "Come here. Sit down and eat. You're always hungry after work."

Arthur worked up a shaky smile as he was sat down. "Yeah."