Part One: The Reality

Sunlight reflects off the rumbling waves as they target the shore of Hale, Michigan. The beachfront shopping center is bustling with happy shoppers, and children giggling near the park at the end of the strip of stores. Store windows are filled with beautifully laid out décor and show pieces. Shoppers watch as open and closed signs are flipped for lunch. Footsteps echo loudly on the cobblestone street. Shopping bags crinkle with each step. Noises overflow the willing ears of lonely bystanders and occupy their absent thoughts.

On this seemingly perfect day everything goes amiss. As if fate was playing a game 20 lives become one for just a moment. The calm before the storm is halted as a loud yelling breaks the peace. “I hate you!” Is all that’s heard before everyone stops to gaze at the spectacle made. Before most eyes meet the disruption a scream pierces through the air, tires screech and horns honk. A loud thump sounds as a once white convertible collides with a girl, followed by another car. The screams overshadow the real problem at hand and people sprint to the scene. All but one.

Cell phones cover the ears of teenagers and concerned adults. Blood pools inside the two vehicles and the girl trapped in between the two cars hangs on for her last glance at life before she is gone forever. Feet pad loudly towards the children’s park, away from the accident. A shout pauses the chaos “Stop! Thief!” An old jeweler announces as he runs after the man. Sirens divert everyone’s attention.

Everyone has something to look at, the fatal crash, the robber, the ambulance approaching fast. Everything seems to stop in the moment the paramedics jump from the emergency vehicle. Blue blurs cover the girl and try to remove her from the wreckage as another scream breaks out. No one can spare attention to the new scream, engrossed in the life saving action before them. The thing they didn’t know is that scream is Fate’s favorite part of the show.

Officers do not halt at the accident; they proceed to the park where the thief has taken shelter. Guns poised for action a warning shot rings out and screams dilute the orders from the captain. “Hold your fire, he’s got a kid!” He warns and starts to set his gun down. The park once filled with tens of children now only occupies one and the thief. He holds the small child at gun point and yells out demands, the car crash nearly forgotten.

            Silence fills the air.

            One…

            Two…

            Three…

            A cell phone rings, the sirens halt, and a gunshot fires. 

 WORDCOUNT: 442

TOTAL: 442/50,000

A/N So, this is just the "Prologue" I wrote this about a month ago, this is what started this whole desire to participate in NaNoWriMo (honestly could there be a longer abrieviation for that? IDK about you guys but I've typed that enough times tonight to just want to bite my fingers off.) Anyways, I started this and submitted it to my school Literary Magazine. Amazingly it got accepted under the terms that I wrote a part TWO, and instead of that I've decided to write whole book, and a possible Part Two. 

That acceptance gave me the push I needed to get this out there and give it a shot, so thank you to the people who voted for this piece, I won't let you down as I embark on this wonderfully tiring adventure to write a book.

And REMEMBER: Vote or comment, (I'll dedicate the next chapter to you) Can't wait for us to read more!