Chapter 17 : Opening Up

I'm no therapist. I'm no psychiatrist, and I'm definitely no friend. What I am though, is a leader and teammate. That enough gave me the motivation to stay with Toby while everyone else left for Scavenger Night and listen to what he  needed to vent about if he even decided to talk about what had been going on with him. 

What was happening at this very moment was a situation I would've never imagined myself getting into but was tangled in anyway. Toby was cuddling into my chest, hesitantly at that, but slowly submitting to the comfort. I sighed as I confusingly wrapped my arms around him, unknowing what to do in this given scenario. Last time I had held someone like this, it was an eight year old girl who had nearly wet herself because Slender had gotten upset with Jeff and the entire mansion shook along with it's calm atmosphere. Slender had the ability to change the mood of the environment at will, but  years ago he himself had no patience with us and could easily shift our surroundings with his unstable emotions. Back then, I had no idea how to comfort someone and here I am,  years later, still not knowing how to comfort. 

Though, despite that, Toby overall seemed pretty calm. He had tensed when he felt my arms wrap around him however quickly relaxed his muscles as soon as I gave him a few minutes to adjust to the feeling. Letting out a breath I didn't even know I was holding, I looked down and observed the brunette. 

I haven't  paid any attention to him, least as far as his witty personality went. Though looking now, I could see how dreary and weak his appearance looked from his pale skin to the bags under his eyes. His hair appeared to be messy as usual, though seemed pretty soft if I ever decided to touch it, which I had decided against. He was much smaller than me stature wise, though not so small that I'd mistake him for some chick. He was lean, yes, but still had a masculine-like build to him. 

After a few more seconds of silence, he spoke. 

"Listen I'm real sorry you...you don't have to stick around, y'know? I shouldn't....I shouldn't have said anything."  He stifled a sniffle, wiping his eyes with gloved hands to wipe away his dried up tears. "No, I'm glad you said something. As my teammate, I do care for your health. Now why don't you... just, like, tell me what's on your mind?" Immediately, he scowled as if offended I even tried to offer.

"Or not," I coughed out, not willing to provoke the man. From his files, I knew certain things about him I was required to know. He seemed to have many medical records of mental illnesses, one being bipolar, so I'd have to be patient with him. Maybe he just didn't want to open up because it was something he wasn't used to? From the little I knew, he did come from an abusive household. The details I skimmed through I'll admit seeing as I had no interest in learning about the man's background besides what I needed to know that came along with my job. 

"I'll be fine," he breathed out, seeming calm again. "I don't really want to talk about it. I just want to relax for a bit and not be alone." I nodded in response. I definitely wasn't curious but part of me wanted to press on the topic and get what was bugging him out. Concern, maybe? No. I don't feel concern for anyone, not even myself. That possibility's ruled out most definitely but I know for sure I'm not curious either. 

"Why don't you talk about yourself instead?" He recommended. I quirked a brow; not like he could see it, I'm still wearing my mask. Although, I forgot he couldn't see so for a solid thirty seconds he just stared blankly waiting for a verbal response. "There's not much to say," I started as I sat up a bit, Toby stilled burrowed against my chest. Well, he looked very comfortable to say the least. "What do you want to know?"

"How long have you been here?"
"Long time. Years."
"Why are you here?"
"Slender took me in like everyone else."
"Yeah, but you have to have done something, right?"