10. ACTS 4-6

ACT FOUR:MY HEART IS GOLD

16 YEARS AGO   

Alexander's Perspective

"How did things ever get to this?" I whispered as I stared up at the sky. We were both laying on the ground, near the bonfire we had made. It was a beautiful sight yet stars seemed a little less bright with Andrea gone... Ashley sighed and shook her head.

"I don't know...I always knew something was off about Adrian but...I didn't think he was a killer." I sighed also and thought it over.

"I didn't even know things like this could happen..." I laughed in disgust. " I then shivered as I felt the cold grass against my skin. "I miss Andrea..."

"I guess Andrea is the love of your life?" I slowly nodded as I shed another tear. I turned onto my side.

"I just want to touch her again. I want to hold her hand again...I wanna pet her hair and I want her to hug me..." Ashley sat up, looked at me, and raised a eyebrow.

"Sounds like puppy love..." I shrugged.

"I guess...Her hair always feels so nice, you know...Her hair is always soft and it always smells nice. Usually it smells like strawberries and peaches but sometimes it smells like cotton candy...I think every now and then she wears perfume." she looked at me.

"What's the color of her hair--"

"Brownish black." we both looked at each other for a few moments. She sighed and pat my knee.

"Damn...You've got it bad kid..." I sighed and looked away.

"I know...But it's really her fault..."

"How do you mean?" I chuckled and shook my head. I stared at the blades of grass surrounding us and sighed.

"She's the one who's so cute all the time...Maybe if she wasn't so cute I wouldn't have to be lovesick." I looked at her to see her rolling her eyes. She laid down next to me again, laying on her back. I turned over and laid on my back again.

"Ugh. Love, huh? Yuck." I laughed a little. "Can we talk about something else?" I thought a few moments before responding.

"...Don't you have a 'Andrea?'"

"How do you mean?"

"An 'Andrea.' A person you care a lot about and love?" I looked at her. She rolled her eyes again.

"The correct term is a 'lover,' not a 'Andrea' you sucker."

"Yeah. Whatever it's called, don't you have one?" she shook her head slowly.

"...I don't have anyone Lex. Besides from the group I don't have any friends or family..." I frowned.

"Why not?" she shrugged.

"They all died in a fire. It just so happened that I was in school while it happened." my eyes widened. I leaned up and looked at her. I had no idea there was so much violence in the world until today. The idea that could happen...It seemed so unnatural to me. The idea that it could even happened seemed bizarre.

"...Do you remember them?"

"No."

"...You have me." I smiled. She sighed.

"I know but..." she looked at me. "I'm not going to have you for forever you know...You're gonna go back home and you're gonna have Andrea and...everything's gonna be fine for you. I, however..." she looked at the sky again. "I'll go back to the orphanage." my eyes widened a little more. I grabbed her hand.