8. COSNETTE

16 YEARS AGO.

Alexander's Perspective

"What do you mean be quiet--"

"SHH!" almost every other person in the group snapped at me as we all huddled up around the door. Just five minutes ago one of the nurses took Oliver out of the main room to have a private conversation. Yet of course, the word 'private' wasn't in the group's vocabulary. Adrian opened the door in the slightest so we could hear what the nurse was saying. I watched Adrian closely and listened. His eyes widened. We could hear the voice of whom I assumed was Oliver.

"W-what do you mean I'm going away?"

"You're not necessarily going away sweetheart!" the nurse laughed. "You're going back home. Your mother and father worked very hard to get you back. You should be excited."

"I don't...I don't want to go home...W-where's s-she going?"

"What do you mean she? Who's 'she?'"

"...B." none of us knew what he meant, yet I could see the nurse nodding.

"She's just fine Oliver. Your little brunette is save and sound back home, waiting for you." Adrian then closed the door and turned towards us.

"Oh no. Not good. Not good."

"What does that even mean?" Margo spoke up as Adrian sighed.

"Oliver got adopted." as they all gasped I raised a eyebrow.

"Why is that such a big deal? Shouldn't we be happy for him?" as I spoke up, Adrian immediately put his hands on my shoulders.

"For years now we've been pulling off schemes. Oliver made all of our plans. Without Oliver, not only will we be struggling, but we'll get caught." as the nurse opened the door, Oliver walked in. Ashley immediately walked over and pulled him into a hug. I bit my lip and watched from afar. Oliver's absence wasn't going to affect me mostly, but it was weird to see the group be worried. Usually they were just about fine with anything. But losing one of their own? I guess that's a different story.

"Alexander?" the nurse spoke as I blinked several times.

"H-huh?"

"I need to speak to you." I bit down on my bottom lip and looked the group. Adrian slowly nodded. Jack then put his hand on my shoulder.

"Don't worry. Everything will be fine." as Jack spoke up Adrian glared at him. I raised both of my eyebrows and looked at both of them. Alice then walked up to me and smiled.

"Jack's right. Don't worry--"

"C'mon Alex..." the nurse nagged again. I looked to the group and then nodded. I then walked out of the room and looked to the nurse.

"D-did I get adopted?" she shook her head then leaned down towards me.

"No. But I'm giving you a warning." I gulped as she spoke.

"A-a warning? Why? Is something wrong?"

"Not yet. I wanted to warn you that I...I am aware of what your father has done to you and I'm aware of your relationship with him. I overheard over the phone that your father is planning to come back for you...He is going to visit and talk to you tomorrow..." I instantly began to breathe in and out heavily, hyperventilating as soon as she mentioned my father.

"W-what? What does my father want with me? H-he hates me! H-how...why are you letting him do this?" the nurse sighed.

"I tried to stick up for you, but your father bribed our manager more than he could afford to turn down. I'm so sorry. I just wanted to let you know before he arrives..." I could feel tears start to swell up in my eyes already.

"N-no...I never want to see him again. Please. Don't make me see him, please?" she shook her head.

"I'm sorry. All I could do was warn you...You are dismissed..." as she walked away, I ran back into the room and immediately fell onto my bed. I curled up under my blanket and buried my face in my knees. I then gasped as I could feel someone plop down next to me.

"Hey...Alexander is it? Are you alright?" I pulled the covers off me and looked to see Oliver, sitting beside me on my bed.

"N-no..." the group quickly followed. As they all gathered around me I felt even more uncomfortable.

"Did you get adopted?" Margo asked. I shook my head.

"M-my dad is coming to see me...He wants to get me back..." Elle raised a eyebrow.

"Why is that bad? Why are you even here if your father still wants you?" I shook my head and squeezed my eyes shut. I could feel tears begin to stream down my cheeks.

"Aw he's crying!" Margo pointed out, reaching over and trying to dry a few tears. I swatted her hand away and kept my eyes shut.

"Margo leave him alone, he's clearly upset and he doesn't need you to mess with him." Ashley butted in.

"Maybe we should try to help him." Elle spoke up.

"Maybe we should stop talking about me like I'm NOT HERE!" I finally yelled, causing all three of the girls to gasp.

"Give him some room to breathe." Adrian ordered as I slowly opened my eyes. Oliver sighed and spoke again.

"Now, why is this such a big problem again?"

"...He'll hurt me. He's probably angry with me... He'll probably beat me the second he sees me..." Oliver bit his lip for a few moments, then put his hand on my stomach.

"We won't let him do that to you. I'm good at fighting, I'll protect you. I promise." he gave a small smile as I slowly nodded.

"A-are you sure? He's a grown adult...Are you sure you could take that kind of pain?" he shrugged and smirked.

"Anything for one of our own. I promise we'll protect you." Adrian then began to fast walk into another direction. I leaned up and tilted my head.

"Adrian? Where are you going?" he began to pace back and forth. Margo got up and put her hand on his shoulder, stopping him. I sat up straight in my bed and watched them closely. It was a strange sight to me. It seemed as if she was the only one whom could ease or calm him...But they weren't...

Adrian began to pace again, walking around Margo as he spoke. "We can't stay here." I then got up out of the bed. I walked towards him and tilted my head.

"Where do you suggest we go?" Oliver laughed as I spoke. He got up, walked towards me then put his hand on my shoulder.

"I've had a get away plan ever since I got into this place. I don't have to break out myself, but that doesn't mean I can't make just one last plan for you guys..." I looked at him and then to Adrian. Adrian stopped in his tracks and turned to us. I raised both of my eyebrows.

"A-are you serious?" Adrian smirked.

"Lex, it looks like you won't be seeing your father tomorrow...What you will be seeing, however, will be a get away plan on paper."