4. FUN

16 YEARS AGO.

Alexander's Perspective

I fidgeted in my sleep as I could feel something touch my face.

"Lex. Wake up." I could hear Adrian whisper in my ear. I groaned in response.

"No."

"Yes. Get up."

"It's probably midnight. I want to sleep. I'm not getting up."

"No. Get up."

"No."

"Yes."

"No."

"Yes."

"Nooo!" I sighed and laid on my stomach. I put the pillow over my head to try to block him out. I could hear him exhale loudly. I was exhausted and you couldn't blame me. Today was my first conscious day at the orphanage. Let's just say it wasn't the most blissful day.

I could hear him sigh loudly before he pushed the covers off me and pulled me by my ankles. I was about to scream as he pulled me off the top bunk and forced me onto my feet, yet he covered my mouth as soon as I was on the ground. "Shush. You have to be quiet." he whispered. I quickly nodded. "Do you promise to be quiet?" I nodded again. He uncovered my mouth and smiled.

"Good. We're gonna have some fun." he laughed before I could hear Ashley then loudly cough. I looked at her and smiled a little. She folded her arms and raised a eyebrow at Adrian as she walked towards us.

"Adrian, what are you doing to this poor kid?" Adrian smirked and immediately spoke up.

"I think we're going to go exploring. Care to join us?" she nodded.

"Sure. It's really the only way to keep from Lex getting killed..." my eyes widened a little as she laughed. She walked towards me and whispered. "Don't worry. He won't actually kill you. Adrian just does a lot of dangerous shit." I batted my eyes then nodded. I had never heard someone around my age swear like that before...

"Oh...Okay." I smiled a little. "W-where are we going?" Adrian shrugged.

"I thought we could walk around for a while..." he told me before beginning to walk. As Ashley stayed close to his side and followed, I had to catch up.

"Are we going to get the rest of the group to go with us?" Adrian looked at me and arched a eyebrow.

"No. Of course not. That would be stupid." I thought to myself as he looked away. I barely thought about what I was going to say before I spoke again.

"B-but...Isn't generally doing this stupid? Getting up in the middle of the night? I-I mean...What's the point in it?" Adrian looked at me again and laughed.

"You wish there was no point in this." I was now confused. I looked to Ashley, whom was standing in the middle, getting between Adrian and I. She finally spoke up.

"Adrian has issues with insomnia. We do this every night, so that he can get tired and eventually go to sleep easier."

"...Oh...What's insomnia?"

"Lex, enough questions for right now okay?" I was suddenly surprised by how Ashley acted. That was something my mother would probably say. From what I had seen so far, it seemed that Ashley was the mother figure to everyone. And...I kind of liked that. I hadn't had a mother since I was eight years old...

"A-alright..." I smiled, hoping to make her happy or at least smile back. She showed a small smile before looking to Adrian.

"So. Where shall we explore tonight?" I looked around myself as Ashley and Adrian spoke. I blocked out their voices as I obsereved the area around us. I could see the rest of the group sleeping in the bunk beds, each one clearly fast asleep. I smiled as I could see Margo curled up in a ball under the covers of one of the bottom beds. She seemed calm and happy as she smiled in her sleep. I then looked over to the bottom bed that was only a four or five feet away from hers.