chapter thirty-six

JOE SUGG'S POV
As I stood at the front door of the Zalfie household, I looked at the single red rose in my hand and after a few seconds of hesitation, I knocked on the door.

In a matter of seconds, the door swung open quickly only to reveal a smiling Troye in the doorway. I smiled at him before stepping inside the house and closing the door behind me, leaning against it.

"She'll be down in a few minutes," he informed me before looking at the red rose in my hand an then back up at my face. "Can I get you anything?"

"No, no thank you."

"What's the surprise, Joe?"

"I'm afraid that it wouldn't be called a surprise if I tell you," I responded simply watching as he turned towards me and smiled sweetly.

"Come on! I won't tell her, I promise," he whined and even held out his pinky to ensure it, but I simply shook my head. I watched as his smiling face turned into a frustrated one and he blew out an angry breath.

I let out a soft laugh as he walked away and sat down at the kitchen counter before smiling at me and showing me what he was eating.

It wasn't a surprise to me that it was Nutella on toast.

I looked around the room and watched as a little black pug came in sight. Once she saw me, her ears perked up and she charged towards me.

"Woah easy there, Alan," I held out my hands to calm her down as she walked around me, her body shaking from excitement. I bent down and scratched her back, watching as she nuzzled my hand and barked happily.

"So Troye, what are you doing today?"

"Zoë and I are going shopping for a little bit and I think Marcus is coming over to film with Alfie," he replied before taking another bite of his toast.

"That sounds like fun," I hummed before looking down at Nala.

"You look like you're having fun," I heard a voice say and when I looked up Alyssa was towering over me, a huge smile on her face. I looked up at her goofily before looking down at Nala and smiling.

"I'll have more fun with you," I replied quickly, not fully thinking about it. I heard Troye wince from his place at the kitchen counter and when I looked up he was shaking his head.

"I don't want to hear about how you're going to have "fun" with my best friend."

"That's not what I meant, Troye!"

"Uh huh, that's what they all say," he responded before looking at the time on his phone. "Now you two need to go, it's already past 10."

As the words escaped his lips, I stood up and looked at Alyssa before noticing that she didn't have her crutches. She seemed to notice that I was confused and she looked down at herself.

"I think I can sacrifice one day without them," she whispered softly before stepping over Nala and towards me.

"You look gorgeous," I complimented her before placing a soft kiss on her cheek, and then opening the door. She intertwined her fingers together with mine and together we stepped out into the cloudy morning.

"Are you finally going to tell me what we're doing today?"

"It's a surprise," I replied simply, watching as she stuck her tongue out at me. I let out a small laugh and then opened the car door for her. Quickly, she got inside, making sure to close it behind her as I went around the front of the car to the drivers seat. I got into the car and then smiled at her before turning on the car and stepping on the gas.