20

A/N: Regarding last chapter's question, realmindy got the answer half right, but I'm giving the role to her as her answer was closest to the right answer. Anyway, congrats mate! :)

----------------%%%----------------
BACK TO DALANIE'S POV
----------------%%%----------------

After that great night with Alex and his family, I felt really refreshed and comfortable around them. They're really great people. Kinda made me forget my worries, too. But just for a while.

It was a Sunday, and I've finished all my homework. Since I was free - and... still really needed to take a breather from what happened yesterday, I decided to go to the beach to take a walk.

"Dad, I'm going out for a while," I said, leaving the house.

"Okay. Be back for dinner," came the reply.

"Defo."

The car was parked in the garage. Grabbing the keys off the kitchen counter, I ran out and took a drive to the beach.

When I reached the beach, I parked the car and started walking the boardwalk. The boardwalk was such an aesthetic place and it had an amazing view of sunsets. Perfect for photography, if you asked me.

I strolled down casually and happened to see a notice stuck on the outside of Seaside Ice Cream. Walking over, I saw that note was for help wanted.

It read:

Help wanted!
• Walk-in interviews accepted •

- At least 15 years of age?
- Need to refresh your mind?
- Would like to earn some extra pocket money?
- Want to experience a real job?

Look no more! Seaside Ice Cream is now hiring, so feel free to step right up if you are interested!

Wow. That seems enticing. I'd love a summer job. Okay. Technically, it wasn't summer yet, but I could use a part-time job. Ya know, just for the fun of it?

Taking a deep breath, I stepped into the shop, only to be greeted by someone unexpected.

"Zachary?! What... what are you doing here?!" I stumbled backwards.

He caught me by the arm and helped me up, sniggering. "You're clumsy."

I sighed. "Answer me directly."

"Hey hey hey. You don't tell me how to live my life."

"Sorry, Mr Huxley. I had to gather some things. Anyway, I was going to say - you're hired!" a lady who looked about 30 or so, decked out in casual work clothes came out of a room at the back of the shop and shook Zachary's hand. "Congrats! You may start work as soon as possible!"

"Thank you, Ms Mindy!" Zachary bowed as he shook her hand. Then he turned and walked past me, leaving the shop.

Alright? I was kinda surprised he didn't seem too bothered by my presence, though. But what really surprised me was something that the lady had said. Something about... being hired?

"Hello, miss! How can I help you?" the lady broke my train of thought.

I came back to reality in no time and immediately asked about the job available.