prologue

"she was a shooting star, over ever so quickly but never truly gone; and she loved the mystery she became."

*********

THE LIFE OF MAEVE KING was a strange one.

No one would've guessed that an unknown secret society of magicians gave her a tarot card and led her to an old run down apartment building, along with four other people, to help them become famous magicians with vendettas.

Not one word or phrase in that sentence makes sense to ordinary people.

Keyword: ordinary

The Eye doesn't choose ordinary people. They choose people who are willing to risk themselves for a good cause. People who see the world completely different from everyone around them.

And Maeve was one of them.

It didn't take a genius to know that even extraordinary people would find that sentence majorly confusing as well. But, they wouldn't think of it as impossible.

Magic was something that kept Maeve down to earth. Making people smile with this gift of hers was what kept her going, so it was hard for her to go into hiding for more than a year.

It was especially hard when Maeve had to do it all alone.

As much as she tried to find something else to make her smile, nothing gave her that spark like magic did.

And with magic came all the memories of what happened before this mess started.

Maeve had a family. She had someone to love her. She had all this glory and fame, but like all good things, it had to come to an end.

As well as the Maeve she once knew.

Maeve completely turned her life back around and started fresh. She dumped the old coffee habit and moved out of the country to England.

Starting fresh also meant a new identity. Maeve dyed her hair into a dark red ombre and completely changed her style. To top it off, she held a pair of fake glasses on the bridge of her nose and used a fake accent to get by. Living longer in London made her accent become real.

Maeve applied for a job at a magic shop near her flat in order to stay close with something she loved. She loved working there and showing young children her magic tricks.

Maeve loved living as Eliza Parks in the big city of London. She finally felt normal after everything that happened.

Maeve finally got her live back together.

But showing her face out in public caught someone's unwanted attention. When people saw her, they started to talk about how she resembled a certain magician back in America.

Word travels fast over seas.

Including if the Eye is hot on your trail.