Chapter 13: Tear Down the Walls

You have to tear down the walls that live in your heart

To find someone you call home

Now you see me for me and my beautiful scars

Take my hand and don't let go

Cause it's not too late, it's not too late

I, I see the hope in your heart

(Broken Arrows by Avicii)

Rachel

The soft knock on the door brought me back to the present.

"Rachel?" Damian called softly from the room. I stood from the tub and grabbed the towel, hastily drying myself. "Are you alright in there?"

"I'm fine!" I called back, noting the slight worry in Damian's voice. It amused me. What did he think happened? That I drowned in the tub? "Just getting dry."

"Alright." There was relief in Damian's voice, and I thought I heard him sigh, before his footsteps receded.

After getting dry, I tugged on the clothes I grabbed. They were the ones Damian had packed for me. I threw on a pair of leggings and a shirt. Asteria was taller and chestier than I was, so the shirt was long and loose on me, but it made me feel more comfortable to have normal clothes on. After running a hand through my damp hair, I finally stepped out of the bathroom.

Similar to last night, I found Damian on the bed. He had changed out of his jeans and into his jogger pants again. However, he was wearing a plain, white shirt this time. Leaving my towel on the back of the couch to dry, I walked to the bed and crashed down. Unlike before, I wasn't as guarded around Damian. And I think he felt the same way as he smiled at me and lifted one arm over his head. Taking the invitation, I snuggled into him, resting my head on his defined chest, while my body curled up by his side. We were silent for a while as I listened to his heart beat and even breathing. I was so tired, I almost drifted off to sleep, before Damian spoke up.

"I caught Grayson and Asteria talking about me on my way back here," he said in a solemn voice.

A tinge of worry struck me. The last time Damian overheard people talking about him, he went sulking in the woods. But considering he was lying on the bed next to me and the fact that we just came back from hiking in the woods, I tried not to be concerned. "What did they say?" I tentatively asked, not sure how much Damian wanted to share.

Like the many times before, it took Damian some time to answer. At least he is providing answers, I thought. He could just shut me out again. Vaguely, I wondered if this is how it would always be with us. Me, never knowing if Damian was willing to share or not. Having to walk on eggshells around him. Would there ever be a time when he never hid from me? But I focused more on his answer rather than dwelling too much on what the future could hold for us. Come what may, we would deal with it. I hoped. "They were wondering about us," he began while his fingers brushed against my shoulders. I don't think he was aware of the patterns he was drawing on my skin as he spoke. The gentle touch made me shut my eyes in comfort as he continued. "I thought it would be Asteria worried about us, but it seems I was mistaken. Grayson was much more anxious about me going off alone with you, while Asteria believes we should be given some privacy and freedom to explore on our own."

"We women are more sensible that way," I tried to joke, hoping to lighten the mood. Damian didn't laugh, so I went on to ask, "How does that make you feel? With them so concerned about... us." That word again. Us. I hesitated before saying it, because of what it could mean. It was as if Damian and I weren't two separate beings, but rather one, solid unit. However, I wasn't so certain of our stability or solidity.