Chapter 5: We Don't Have to be Ordinary

(included the song for this chap right here because I srsly just love this song and Shawn Mendes. Please listen to it while reading this chap. I was listening to it while writing this)

Chapter 5: We don't have to be Ordinary

Together we can just let go

Pretend that there's no one else here that we know

We don't have to be ordinary

Make your best mistakes

Cause we don't have time to be sorry

So baby be the life of the party

(Life of the Party by Shawn Mendes)

Rachel

"Damian... why does everyone keep staring at you?" I asked, not being able to take the looks people were throwing our way as Damian and I walked down the halls of school. I'm not sure why Damian was still talking to me, but I wasn't going to send him away anytime soon.

"They're not staring at me," he replied, not glancing at me. He was just staring straight ahead, completely ignoring the others. I could feel his annoyance though. He wasn't as nonchalant as he pretended to be. "They're staring at us."

Us. "Us?" I repeated the word aloud, finally making him turn to me. He raised that eyebrow of his, looking superior. It was obvious he was waiting for me to say more. "But why?"

The question made him roll his green eyes, and he sighed in a what-am- I- going- to- do- with- you kind of way. "They're all probably wondering what I'm doing with you."

"Oh," I said. Of course. What would the Damian Wayne be doing with a nobody like me? Damian seemed to notice the discomfort I was beginning to feel, because he decided to explain further.

"What I mean is," he clarified. "They've never seen me with a girl before. You're the first. And that probably intrigues them."

I didn't know if the sentence ought to make me feel better or not. "Why are you with me, then?" I asked, and I could feel his surprise at the question.

He glanced at me with wary green eyes, and I don't know why he seemed so unsure. "Would you like me to leave then?"

"No," I said, laughing out loud. I finally realized why the question surprised Damian. No girl had probably ever said that to him before, and I'm guessing he thought I wanted him to leave. No girl probably ever wanted Damian Wayne to leave them alone either. In fact, I was pretty sure they wanted Damian around very badly, if the jealous looks they were giving me were anything to go by. Oh, if only they knew there was nothing to be jealous about.

I looked at Damian, and I could see why girls seemed to throw themselves at him. He was handsome, with his chiseled jaw and his disarming green eyes contrasting with his dark hair. No, he's beautiful, I corrected myself. And he was so sure of himself. So confident. I'm sure the fact that he was a Wayne, and that his father owned a multibillion dollar corporation was another thing the girls loved.

But it wasn't what Damian looked like that intrigued me. No. What had me so curious about him was the way he acted. He was completely rude to people, and he was so bent on making sure no one got close enough to him. He had built this wall around himself- a wall made of biting remarks and hurtful words. But underneath all that, he wasn't as bad as he pretended to be. He helped me out yesterday. He reassured me. He made Alfred give me clothes to sleep in. Why did he try to hide that from everyone else? And this morning, when he angrily strode off from breakfast, I could feel the profound sadness and loneliness radiating from his as we talked in the woods.