Chapter 2: Monster

Chapter 2: Monster

In the end everything collides

My childhood spat back out

The monster that you see

(My Songs Know What You Did in the Dark by Fall Out Boy)

Rachel

My head was still feeling heavy.

As I slowly came to my senses, the events of earlier today also came into mind. Damian! The single thought made me sit upright, only to find myself in an unfamiliar bedroom. The bed had red sheets and blankets, and guess what? The boy in question was sitting right beside me, his green eyes guarded as he watched me wake up. Forget about Damian, I scolded myself. What about the girl?

"Rachel," Damian said gently, like I was some sort of animal that might lash out at any moment, if he surprised me. "Relax. We're not going to harm you. We just want to know a few things."

"Where is she?" I asked, not bothering to pay attention to what he was saying. "I need to find her." I threw the blankets off of myself and began to stand up. Damian was immediately there to block my way.

His arms were crossed over his chest, and he was glaring down at me with those beautiful eyes of his. Focus Rachel. "Not until you tell me what you want with her," Damian automatically replied.

I tried to side step him, but he just moved to block my way again. Frustrated, I wanted to use my magic on him, but I took control of my emotions like I'd been used to doing since I was a little girl. "It's none of your business," I bit back instead. I crossed my arms over my chest and glared right back at him.

"It is my business when you're messing with my family." His next words surprised me, making me drop my arms. Did he just say family?

"You're related to her?" I asked incredulously and instantly backed away from him. He seemed to note the fear in my voice and raised a curious eyebrow.

"Not technically, no," he answered my question. "But that's not the point. Stop changing the subject!"

"I-" My sentence was cut off when the door to the room swung open and in walked a man that looked like an older version of Damian. He had dark hair and light blue eyes.

For a moment, we were quiet, as the three of us assessed one another. Finally, the man spoke. "I think this would be better discussed in the conference room, so that we can get on with dinner."

Dinner? How long was I out? "Alright father. Lead the way," Damian replied coolly back. Father? There were obviously too many things I needed to figure out. Damian turned back to me and gestured for me to walk ahead of him. With a sigh, I followed after his father. Maybe if I talked to them like they wanted, this could all be settled peacefully.

While we walked towards the conference room they were talking about, I turned back to Damian. "How long was I unconscious?" I asked.

The question seemed to bother him, and he frowned as if he remembered something unpleasant. For a second, I thought he wouldn't reply to me, and that the question annoyed him. But, he finally spoke. "Five hours. It's almost six in the evening."

Five hours? What the hell happened to me? I didn't remember passing out for a second time, or any reason why I might faint. Damian didn't provide any more answers, and I didn't bother to ask. He didn't seem like the type of boy who liked to talk.

We arrived by a set of double doors, and Damian's father disappeared inside. Taking a deep breath, I followed suit. I heard the click of the doors as Damian closed it behind us, but I was too busy staring at the assembled people in front of us to worry. Who are these people? I needed answers. Like who the girl with the red hair was and what her relation to Damian might be. My eyes landed on her and she stared back at me with unwavering grey eyes. Seated beside her was a boy with black hair and the darkest blue eyes I'd ever seen. He was glaring at me.